Manafon deluxe edition - too expensive??

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Manafon deluxe edition - too expensive??

Postby ob8 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:46 pm

I am in total agreement with CV. The price does initially seem a tad expensive but when you look at what you get it is a good deal. I am unsure of whether or nor i will buy the deluxe edition, i am not that keen on the dvd so maybe will sway my decision. However David's items are always highly collectable , and i think it's best to get these things whilst one can
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby mikaels on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:46 pm

All I ask if for the DVD to be made available, preferably is a nice digipak, without the books and the rest of the no duobt beautiful but still pretty expensive packaging. The doc plus the album in surround, that is good enough for me. Then David can produce as many luxury limited special editions as he has time for ;)
/Mikael
--------------------------------------------------
- 'Do you indulge in any form of worship?'
- 'Life. I love life, very much indeed.'
mikaels
Regular
Regular

Postby ob8 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:14 pm

I agree it would there should be just a dvd/cd edition there certainly appears to be a demand for it.

Mikael are you a Fax Head ?
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:48 pm

When Manafon is sold out I really do not want to read posts from people bemoaning the fact they should have bought it. Now is the time to buy. Unless you want to get one off of E-Bay for $500 later.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:13 am

missouriman wrote:When Manafon is sold out I really do not want to read posts from people bemoaning the fact they should have bought it. Now is the time to buy. Unless you want to get one off of E-Bay for $500 later.

Well, then close your eyes and don't read them!

I really don't understand many posts here! Some people can afford it, some can't! Sure that the ones that wish they could pay that cash can moan!

I freely choose not buying it and I can also give my opinion about the album, right? It's a free world and all that... :roll:
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:55 am

I think it comes down to pride of ownership, if you aquire this you will be getting something fairly exclusive ,of high quality and collectable, i do think that the dvd will be available in a simpler and therefore cheeper format at a later date,probably when the delux edition sells out.
From a personnel perpective its the album that counts and i can't wait to get it and then immerse myself in it for a few weeks, and i will be able to do that on the 14th for as little as £8,bargain.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:01 am

I'm a collecter of his work and I'll pay whatever he is charging. I just think he is an artist that puts a lot of time and effort into his releases and I'm more than happy to pay a little more than the going rate to allow him to continue doing so.

Disappointed that Sylvian doesn't appear in the film though. Would've been nice to see him talk a little about Manafon. Perhaps he'll release a live DVD of the "Manafon" tour...lol Somehow I don't think that is going to happen.

SP
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:15 am

digimarsh wrote: its the album that counts and i can't wait to get it and then immerse myself in it for a few weeks, and i will be able to do that on the 14th for as little as £8,bargain.

I think digimarsh hit the nail on the head there. All talk of the extended package aside, it is the album that counts. On another note, how cool is the arcade on this site? Oh yes...very cool.

CV
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:49 am

Well it is a little odd that people would write about how much they are waiting for something from Sylvian then when it turns up they decide it is crap and not worth their $. Like waiting for Jesus only to tell him they are atheists.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby marcello09 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:18 am

Can I be the first to complain about people who complain about people who complain about people who complain about the price of the deluxe edition? :mrgreen:
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:32 am

Enough already. Buy the bloody thing if you want it. If you think its overpriced then DONT.

Icant wait to get hold of my super duper expensive but worth every penny box set of Manafon
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:43 am

missouriman wrote:When Manafon is sold out I really do not want to read posts from people bemoaning the fact they should have bought it. Now is the time to buy. Unless you want to get one off of E-Bay for $500 later.

OK then - Someone want to loan me $85 so I can get this and Missouriman doesn't have to read me complain about not having the money to get it at the time. Not my fault really - Tonefloat announced the Vinyl edition of The Incident first! See? Had Samadisound been on the ball and released this thing sooner.... PT would be waiting! :P hehehe
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:34 pm

Wow! It's amazing...I had thought that this was one of the calmest, personable forums I had been on and now that a Sylvian album is out there is all of this strife...Is it really Sylvian's work that is the impetous for this? I am not taking a side at all on too expensive or not, seems to me it's a personal decision based on numerous factors not the least of which is ones personal ability to afford such an item. I would agree that I wish Sylvian was in the doc. A bit odd that it's being released as part of his album and he's not in the thing...everyone has a right to express their feelings/opinions here, that's what a forum is for...can I just ask that we all be cool and mature and show others respect. Thanks.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby marcello09 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Tin Bird wrote:Wow! It's amazing...I had thought that this was one of the calmest, personable forums I had been on and now that a Sylvian album is out there is all of this strife...Is it really Sylvian's work that is the impetous for this? I am not taking a side at all on too expensive or not, seems to me it's a personal decision based on numerous factors not the least of which is ones personal ability to afford such an item. I would agree that I wish Sylvian was in the doc. A bit odd that it's being released as part of his album and he's not in the thing...everyone has a right to express their feelings/opinions here, that's what a forum is for...can I just ask that we all be cool and mature and show others respect. Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing! Lots of grumpiness about these days. Just because Sylvian's a miserable Englishman doesn't mean the rest of us have to be as well! :mrgreen:
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Tin Bird wrote:I would agree that I wish Sylvian was in the doc. A bit odd that it's being released as part of his album and he's not in the thing...

Odd? I think Sylvian explained it quite well exactly why he decided to commission the documentary and include 'Amplified Gesture' with the deluxe edition of Manafon. He wanted to focus in on the practitioners of Electro-Acoustic Improvisation who influenced every aspect of this project and therefore, share their methods, histories and ideas with his listeners who could not easily connect with the sounds they produce. I assume he concluded that there was no reason to include himself, since he is not a musician who works in the EAI genre.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work