Trauma Therapy may be necessary....

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Trauma Therapy may be necessary....

Postby baht habit on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:03 pm

This person who posted a comment on youtube is not only expressing disdain towards the musicians who helped to create the contents of Manafon, he is also very annoyed at those who happen to listen to the music and actually have the unmitigated gall to enjoy what they are hearing...

taken from youtube.com:
>>>every track has the same arrangement, mood and atmosphere; a slap with doublebass here, a dissonant acoustic guitar chord there, a little scratch here with noises in the background, all very predictable and "easy way out"! But what I find really irritating, is the pomposity and the self importance of all the ones involved in this "project". all others, listeners and musicians are superficilal, shallow and banal!<<<

:twisted:
Hmm. He considers musical abstraction and atonality to be 'predictable' and an 'easy way out'. And those who make the music are pretentious and those who listen to the music are frauds. He concludes that since he doesn't like it - if the sounds don't appeal to him - then no one else could possibly really like it. If they claim to like it, they are merely put-ons. :-)
'trauma therapy' may be necessary to combat such twisted logic... :twisted:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:21 pm

what can i say the person is just down right rude baht habit ignore him hes not worth wasting a breath .... :evil:
neonico

Postby jon abbey on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:00 am

the best part of that is "project" in quotes. :D
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:58 am

neonico wrote:what can i say the person is just down right rude baht habit ignore him hes not worth wasting a breath .... :evil:

Oh no, if I chose to ignore these types, I would be depriving myself of a good deal of entertainment. :twisted:
These fans are angry, disillusioned, and are just not going to take it anymore... and they want us to know it. :-)
I am simply making sure that their message gets out there.
:twisted:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:01 pm

:lol: Baht much as I feel for the poor 'patients' who clearly take their point of view very seriously, I love your (brave) attitude!! This one of my secretpleasure threads...
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby TrangLee on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:47 am

Uhm... :(

I think they're just too angry. We shouldn't be so hard on what others feel.

I don't hate any of Dave's materials. I always try to listen until I find it beautiful. Sometimes I find it a bit sychophant of myself :cry: :cry: :cry: At last I do find them, yes, most of them lovely.

And my sister would said: "Okay, this man ceased to write music about five years ago. Think what you're listening to? It's self-indulgence crap. Pretentious. Think you're deep for digesting stuff like that?"

I feel worn off arguing with her. She did love DS, not much as I do, but she is excited about everything DS more than I am.
She was very very happy about Manafon (thought it's gonna be like Nine Horse) til she knew it's Blemish II.

It's about what they feel, logic doesn't work.

Anyway, I love this thread :-D Cheer me up everytime I hear people bashing DS.
I am new here :"> And I can't speak English very well.
TrangLee
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:21 pm

TrangLee wrote:Anyway, I love this thread :-D Cheer me up everytime I hear people bashing DS.

Well then, prepare to be cheered up...
Ok, let's get ready to play "count the exclamation points" :twisted:

>>>That's it! No more Sylvian albums for me - nothing's listenable, melodic or enjoyable here. This is just the next stage in the self-indulgent experimentalism that has characterized so much of his recent work.
Avoid!!<<<

>>>Think Twice Before You Buy!!
Sorry Dave but you are losing the plot with this one...........For all of you Sylvian fans, give this a wide birth, can't think of a good word to say about it... I have trying to get my head around Nine Horses as some of the lyrics of those are borderline childish but at least the music is classic David.. but this is just bad!!!!<<<

>>>Self-Indulgent And Cold
The beauty, craftmanship and dedication of albums like Brilliant Trees, Secrets Of The Beehive & Gone To Earth remain gems in a sea of medeocrity, this however is self-indulgent and cold, my love affair with the music of David Sylvian is well and truly over!<<<

>>>Too Experimental!!!!
David Sylvian of rich velvet tones has somehow missed the mark. I was hoping for 'Gone To Earth', 'Dead Bees On A Cake' or even a little retro: 'Brilliant Trees' all of which are truly superb - but alas 'Manafon' is none of these. To me the album is almost a narration of one continuous track which becomes rather laborious. I have been a Sylvian follower for many years and have enjoyed his experimental edge as well as his non-conformity to become too commercial, following a greater mission for his art and I really do think he is capable of something far better.<<<

>>>Stark, bold, uncompromising and self indulgent, not enjoyable to listen to.
I thought Blemish was just a blip but you could see a new direction almost like an unfinished canvas to build on. When Mr. Sylvian gets it right, The Librarian, Orpheus, Nostalgia, A Fire In The Forest he has no equal, but don't expect anything nearly as good here, why does he continually strip away almost everything that is brilliant about what he creats. Would people be so complimentary if it was anyone else, I don't think so! Gets 1 star for Small Metal Gods.<<<
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:06 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:07 pm

For Baht's therapy sessions:
Attachments
antiblemish.jpg
antiblemish.jpg (15.65 KiB) Viewed 8929 times
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:34 am

@ Hawk: rotflmao!!! :lol:
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:47 pm

:lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:05 am

Heh heh :twisted: In this next despondent review, this particular gentleman even admits that he is frustrated and angry and that he has a "stressed demeanor" which needs to be soothed...perhaps what he really (and truly :-) ) needs is some 'trauma therapy'???...

>>>Please make the bad man stop!
I really and truly loved David Sylvian.
From the foppish days of Obscure alternatives to the cool sophistication of Dead Bees and even the more 'challenging' ambient musings.
I have admired all and wished for nothing more but regular offerings to sooth my stressed demeanour.
However as time goes on, the more Sylvian seems to be venturing down a creative cul-de-sac. The more atonal his work becomes, the more frustrated and angry I become, as I know he is capable of beautiful works of art. His work has become the audio equivalent of a Jackson Pollack. Anarchic, lacking form and lazy.
This makes me sad to write but do not buy this if you're a casual fan - you won't like.If you are a die hard like me I suppose we'll still be shelling out our hard earned cash in the vain hope that he might produce something beautiful once more.<<<
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:54 am

>>>Sylvian isn't narcissistic, and doesn't follow what the fans feel about his music. Maybe, that's the problem i have with Manafon. Let me make a prediction;
Sylvian's next offering will be himself warbling an eastern mantra over his own door bell chimes. High art that probably you lot will get, but the rest of us won't.
You lot would probably still buy it.<<<

Not only anger is displayed towards Sylvian for following his own path of musical exploration, but there is resentment towards fans who like Manafon. I suppose we are, in a word, a "lot". :twisted:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:58 pm

I really don't like the judgemental tone of this thread either
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:15 pm

Tim91 wrote:I really don't like the judgemental tone of this thread either

Are you actually saying that I am judgmental because I am simply spreading the negative responses from a certain minority of fans who have gone over the edge with their displeasure towards David Sylvian and the EAI musicians he chose to work with on this new project? Is it wrong for me to comment on their overwrought reactions?
Would you consider it equally judgmental to ridicule an artist because of his choice of album cover rather than actually hearing the music... or even consider him to be fair game simply due to the fact that he happens to share a real name with a completely different musician who has opted to change his name?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work