Uncommon Deities - CD

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Uncommon Deities - CD

Postby Chet on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:22 am

well... first I have to say that I see myself as a hardcore fan, since approx 1982, I have bought everything possible, including very expensive objects. I used t go to London for all the bamboo parties and to hang out at the Opium Arts office just to get the spirit of things... I met the man three times, and I do adore him and his endless creativity. But I have always had a problem with his reading voice. His singing voice is so impeccable, but his reading is just annoying. and these snippets are just not my taste. I adore Jaqueline, I should not dare, Where's Your Gravity, so it's not a thing about being stuck in the 80's.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:36 am

Makes sense enough to me, Chet. Thanks.
I ordered the deluxe edition almost immediately (which doesn't necessarily make me a bigger fan than anybody else - don't get mad now, missouriman. :lol: ). I didn't listen to the snippets till later on, and I like some, while I find others much less interesting. But I'll be able to judge better when the cd will be delivered (presumably late december/early january!).
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby afternoonfix on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:14 am

A lazy release from Sylvians perspective, that requires very little artistic input.
I have purchased everything the man has issued-
not today however..................................
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:32 am

afternoonfix wrote:A lazy release from Sylvians perspective, that requires very little artistic input.
I have purchased everything the man has issued-
not today however..................................

How on earth is this a 'lazy release'? I thought it would appeal to the OCD types who make up Sylvian's audience. :shock: They seem to want everything released he has ever done. You really think David has had no input with this record? I fully expect to see signs of his impeccable taste all over it. The 1000 de-luxe editions will sell out regardless of the moaners.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:49 am

i totally agree with afternoonfix. but don't be so mad missouriman... of course, such a small amount as 1000 will sell out on the first day, but that's not what we've been talking about anyway. I just think it's sad, knowing that the man can do so much better than this.
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:52 am

Chet wrote:i totally agree with afternoonfix. but don't be so mad missouriman... of course, such a small amount as 1000 will sell out on the first day, but that's not what we've been talking about anyway. I just think it's sad, knowing that the man can do so much better than this.

Put your lip back in, Chet. I am sure Uncle David will have something nice for you next time he comes.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm sure too... and I guess, after all, the artwork is so beautiful, and his name is on the box, I'll be buying both editions any second now...
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:26 pm

I'm not sure that I will enjoy such a large contribution from Sidsel Endresen. During one of the samples, I was truly enjoying the piano playing - Mr John Tilbury - and then Endresen breaks in with a vocal and I would have preferred that it remain instrumental. I wonder if I can grow accustomed to such a harsh vocal style as that being so prominent in the mix.
But anyway - there are contributions from Dai Fujikura, Tilbury, Arve Henriksen, Philip Jeck and Sylvian....all very unique musicians, aren't they?
I purchased the deluxe edition as soon as I learned of it being available. Sylvian should feel emboldened by the support for the esoteric releases on Samadhi Sound. Perhaps he'll think twice about the dreaded duets album and shelve it?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby origami on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:14 am

In agreement with afternoon fix and chet....his poetry readings make me cringe, wont be buying this one no matter how deluxe the artwork is!
origami
Noob
Noob

Postby Simonp on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:34 am

Must admit I'm not a fan of Sidsel's "scat" style of singing although her contribution to "Organisms" is quite beautiful and if there are more tracks on the album with her singing in this style, I'll be more than happy.

I wouldn't say it's a lazy release - far from it. Sylvian has probably had a HUGE amount of work to pull this together and I'm sure his involvement has been more than just reading some poetry. I'm looking forward to hearing it, I love Jan Bang and Erik Honore's stuff. In fact, there's a part of me that wishes there was NO vocals (reading/singing) on this release so we could enjoy the beautiful creative music without distraction

Not sure how I feel about the Wasser/Sylvian project. It would be unfair to diss the thing before I've even heard it. Might be nice to hear Sylvian release a more traditional song based album for a change.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:13 am

Some of the music sounds wonderful. I share Simon's half-wish that there was just music as I find that the atmosphere - and especially Arve's trumpet - reminds me of the instrumental ending of Brilliant Trees. In that context, I also quite like Endresen's voice.

I'm not over enamoured with David's spoken parts generally - he reads them well, but sometimes it sounds a bit too mannered. But 'Before and Afterlife' is a piece I've grown to really like. All told, I'm really looking forward to getting the CD.

Not too sure either about the Wasser collaboration. She's a bit too earnest US indie rock for my taste. But I hope lots of people love it, that it sells well and it provides a nice springboard for the solo album.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby missouriman on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:28 am

I am not sure what you 'fans' want anymore from David. I like seeing you complain about his every move and project. I am glad you find it hard to appreciate his work now. I enjoy reading the petulant comments about how you wish he'd make songs you could sing along to like the old days. It's funny to see you criticize his chosen direction, abilities and choice in collaborators. It's hilarious to see people log on just to tell us that they won't be buying his work anymore, but they log on to a specific fan forum anyway.

:smt005
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:51 am

Wow. The deluxe edition has already sold out.

Am very glad I was quick to order - must be pretty frustrating if you missed by the news release by a day or two.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby tulipmania on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:08 am

Part of the reason that the deluxe edition has sold out is because there are people buying more than 1 copy with a view to selling them on at a profit, collecting them or as a future investment. I have to admit that I am one of these people, with a collection of rare DS items. His artistic output is worth collecting and holding on to.
tulipmania
Regular
Regular

Postby svendutchmountains on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:26 pm

tulipmania wrote:Part of the reason that the deluxe edition has sold out is because there are people buying more than 1 copy with a view to selling them on at a profit, collecting them or as a future investment. I have to admit that I am one of these people, with a collection of rare DS items. His artistic output is worth collecting and holding on to.

How 'collectable' is David's stuff, really? I buy his work because I love the music, because the choice of his artwork fascinates me and takes me into different directions, because the sources he references I find interesting... as a result I have a tonne of what some people would call 'rare stuff'. Do I care about the "market value"? No - I care because it emotionally engages me.

I've yet to see much of his stuff go on eBay at respectable ROI's - Ember Glance boxes, Weatherboxes, Heartbeat boxes, Manafon Ltd Editions etc all fetch just over initial retail value (in today's money terms). The only items that truly fetch "good" prices are things like the Parade Sauvage CD, World Citizen J-Wave promo single, Uncommon Deities print/poster, Polaroids exhibition poster and the Ti Ho Aspetto Promo CD... but even there prices on eBay remain fairly steady... I truly despise the leeches who buy mutliple items and then attempt to flog them on eBay.

I've bought a copy of Uncommon Deities Ltd CD (as well as the regular issue)... just for me...
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work