New Sylvian release this year

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New Sylvian release this year

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:03 am

So its out tomorrow (Sat 10th)... I wonder if anyone will get it on the 10th, or whether they are only posted out after this date?

If anyone does get it please let us know your thoughts... it won't take long to listen too :lol:

Kinda sad to be so expectant over a fifteen minute improv style instrumental :?
Last edited by Foales Arishes on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:47 pm

i got email from mark: The release date is October 10th and copies will be dispatched in the early days of next week.
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:54 pm

hitch wrote:i got email from mark: The release date is October 10th and copies will be dispatched in the early days of next week.

Cheers for the info hitch.... sometime next week it is then :smt004
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:23 am

Just coming back to the 3" format... (which I thought had died years ago).

Lenka Lente have just released a book about Léon Léhautier accompanied by a CD containing the Nurse With Wound track Close To You. The book is rather a booklet... and the CD is actually a 3"! Guess the format is not dead, just underground!

The booklet is in French, and the NWW track is actually wonderful (but then most NWW stuff is!)

Greetings from the Dutch mountains
Sven
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby hitch on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:41 am

Cheers for the info hitch.... sometime next week it is then

still waiting...
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:37 am

Well its here!... First the package... I like the tin, though I would not want too many of them, but as a novelty its an interesting way to present a CD. Contained within is a postcard photo by David with the credit text on the reverse.

The CD itself is full sized and looks like a vinyl record, with a white centre and a black outer with fake tracks... even the playing surface is black, something I've not seen before.

As for the music... well it not music, its noises... bangs, bumps, scrapes, fumblings, ticks, tocks, birds, muffled voices, and the odd snippet of sampled [real] music... there's maybe the odd fart in there too, and David heating up his lunch in the microwave :lol: ... It sounds like someone messing around in their garage and comes across as very random. To me it has little beauty; its agitating and unsettling... its definitely closest in sound to Naoshima, with it's sudden bangs and noises, but that had more of the natural world, and sence of place, which made it work better for me.

Am I glad I own it?... Yes. Will I listen to it much?... No.

Images below... spoiler tags don't seem to work here, so warning SPOILERS below.

Last edited by Foales Arishes on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:55 am

at least, it looks nice :-)
thanks!
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:32 am

Some initial quick thoughts...packaging looks pretty cool, but one wonders why the release is not credited to David Sylvian/Jan Bang as it looks like they both had a hand in it's creation...?

Based on the description of it's sound, it appears that it is a minimal, improv piece w truly "random objects" being used to make the sounds... along w a few low key samples. Music like this can be terrific when done well..without hearing it again mind you, works such as: bernhard gunter - un peu de neige salie, Thomas Koner - Permafrost, or Phil Durrant / Thomas Lehn / Radu Malfatti - dach spring to mind. Plight and Premonition is still a landmark recording in my humble opinion. I hope that the quiet rustlings on this new album are an introspective environment.

Looking forward to receiving my copy. :)
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Foales Arishes wrote:The CD itself is full sized and looks like a vinyl record, with a white centre and a black outer with fake tracks... even the playing surface is black, something I've not seen before.

Thanks for the review.

I have a couple of those CD's with a black playing surface. The Comsat Angels' compilation box-set "It's History" is one of them.
Last edited by Quiet Visitor on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:06 pm

I don't know whether this would be considered a good representation of the minimal improv art-form or not... I just know its not really for me. I simply like a little more structure to my music, even if it is experimental and improvised; this, for the most part, is just noises... I like a little more music in my music :twisted:

It was probably not the point of the piece, but when you look at the location this was recorded - Ny-Hellesund - which is a small set of islands off the southern coast of Norway, it somehow feels like a missed opportunity. The place has such amazing visual beauty and interest that it seems a shame the piece to come out of it sounds like someone tidying their workshop, while failing to tune their radio. I'm sure there must have been a wealth of natural and man-made sounds, that could have made an interesting environmental piece, rather than knocking around in the schoolhouse there.

Mind you it could be worse, like the video on Confront's site showing someone using a blowtorch to bust a harps strings, one by one – with long periods of just sitting – and then re-stringing the thing... I'm sorry but that just made me laugh.

At the risk of sounding like Chad I think DS has more to offer than this... just my opinion of course.

Oh, and I've listened to it five times... so I'm giving it a fair chance :)
Last edited by Foales Arishes on Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:02 pm

Chad's name had already popped into my head when I read your description! :lol: Perhaps this release would have vindicated him...or not. I'm going to remain optimistic until I hear it.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby raindrop123 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:46 am

I must admit I am with Foales on this one... Naoshima had a great sense of mood and place and seemed to be a deliberately composed soundscape. The Schoolhouse release sounds like a recorded spring-cleaning ;) It seems there is more excitement to be had from the packaging than the content, which is a bit of a shame really. I'm happy that David is still searching and experimenting, however, in this instance I am questioning if this "material" was really worth putting out there...
raindrop123
Noob
Noob

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:46 am

I'm hoping that mine has arrived when I get home from work...we'll see...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:28 pm

Does it sound something like this: http://www.erstwhilerecords.com/catalog/014.html

If so, I might very well like it because I really love this album.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:10 pm

Foales Arishes wrote:
At the risk of sounding like Chad I think DS has more to offer than this... just my opinion of course.

:-D i like it, the joke that is
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work