Blemish and Manafon on LP

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Blemish and Manafon on LP

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:39 am

Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Blemish and Manafon on LP

Postby kitaj on Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:24 am

Like I’m sure many of you here, I have both albums on LP (the limited editions from the first time around) and, to be fair, they sound way better on CD to me. (Been thinking about selling them actually, from time to time...)
I think it doesn't make much sense stretching Manafon on 2LPs with that one bonus track that was soon to feature on Died in the Wool anyway.

But, even if there's not much in these reissues for me, the event has made me reappraise Manafon, which I'd always had a hard time with. It's a quality album no doubt - I couldn't possibly say it was "bad"; I just couldn't abide the sameness of his detached singing throughout, the wordiness (on that front, it seems like a Dylan record at times - well, or a late Scott Walker one), the voice steadily mixed that upfront... but most of all, the bleakness of it all. But FFWD 10 years, having experienced a lot of that bleakness first hand now... I think it's equally great as all of his best work. Do I think it could have been better? Yes: with a bit (make that a lot) more variation in the singing style, and if he'd shut up a bit and let the musicians "sing" more often (OK, he kind of does that in the 2nd half and near the end, to be fair - he always did have a great ear for structuring an album)... But I remember reading some interviews freshly upon release, and he did say that his very intention was to make the listener feel the alienation of the narrator in his vocal: well, what can I say? Mission accomplished for sure.

I've created my own redux version playlist of Manafon, bettering it in my own humble ear-view, by adding and incorporating the two extant tracks from the sessions into the tracklist as follows: "Sleepwalkers" as track 4 (between "Random Acts" and "The Greatest Living Englishman"), and "Anomaly at Taw Head" (from Died in the Wool) as track 8 (between "Snow White" and "Emily Dickinson"). I've then also substituted "Five Lines" (from the Sleepwalkers compilation) for the aforementioned "Anomaly at Taw Head" into the Died in the Wool tracklist. Happy bunny! (well, as happy as this music allows.)
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:14 am

Thanks for your impressions Kitaj. Hope your bleak years are over by now.

I only have the special edition of Manafon with the 5.1 surround version. Like I wrote before somewhere over here the album became more interesting for me after watching the "making-of" documentary Amplified Gesture.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:25 am

I finally have a vinyl copy of Manafon. I was always cross with myself for not grabbing one from the initial run, so it's wonderful to have this thing of beauty in my hands, and that's without considering the actual music, which I still love. A triple dip, with standard CD, the Deluxe CD and now this... worth it for the artwork alone.

Huge thanks to @Gabzi Nemo for letting me know this was being released :smt007 :smt006
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work