Baritone?

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Baritone?

Postby anortherncod on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:07 am

I'm sure there are people out there who know whether DS is a baritone or not, I always thought he was...

I was wondering this because I was driving to work today listening to RTC and thinking how he goes right to the top of his range on Pocket Full Of Change.

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:17 am

I wouldn't know - but I think he's not quite a baritone? Anyone here who knows how you can tell this stuff?
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:07 am

Hello!

Yes he is definitely a baritone. Not quite low enough to be a Bass, but far from a Tenor!

Plus he has been described as a 'baritone' in many interviews and articles.

-K-

PS: I love how he sings so high in 'Pocket Full of Change' also!
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby anortherncod on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Ta Silver Moon. I wonder if there's a way of working it out? Here's a business idea for someone: invent a text service which tells you what 'kind' of singer someone is - like that one which tells you the artist and title of a song...

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:33 pm

In any interview that I've read or listened to, DS is invariably described as a Baritone. However, since there's more than one type of Baritone, and I can only think of 2 of them now: Bel Canto + Lyric Baritone, I wouldn't be able to even guess what type DS is. As for the system used for working it out, I've no idea - but I'd love to know! :-D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Baritone?

Postby krausy on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:56 pm

anortherncod wrote:I'm sure there are people out there who know whether DS is a baritone or not, I always thought he was...

I was wondering this because I was driving to work today listening to RTC and thinking how he goes right to the top of his range on Pocket Full Of Change.

Natasha

Sorry, but I always assumed it was Steve singing parts of Pocket Full of Change, as I can distinctly hear David's voice but the other parts are so different that I thought it was Steve. Could it be possible? Does anyone know for sure?
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Baritone?

Postby anortherncod on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:17 am

krausy wrote:Sorry, but I always assumed it was Steve singing parts of Pocket Full of Change, as I can distinctly hear David's voice but the other parts are so different that I thought it was Steve. Could it be possible? Does anyone know for sure?

Oo! I never thought of that. Someone must know...

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:10 pm

Pocket Full of Change is all Sylvian
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nabiky B. on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:49 pm

Bern wrote:Pocket Full of Change is all Sylvian

I'm agree with you Bern ;-)
Pocket Full of Change is Mr. Sylvian 100% and i'm agree with you friends ... He is a Baritone
I think that His voice is the most beautiful & amazing male voice in this Planet :smt007
He has an unique way of singing ;-)
Baritone,Tenor??? He is both and more

(By the way it was a interesting question :-D)

Nabiky B.

Nabiky B.
Regular
Regular

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:50 am

Astronaut wrote:In any interview that I've read or listened to, DS is invariably described as a Baritone. However, since there's more than one type of Baritone, and I can only think of 2 of them now: Bel Canto + Lyric Baritone, I wouldn't be able to even guess what type DS is.

That system is only applicable to opera and classic trained singers and has nothing to do with popular music. Bel Canto and Lyric baritone are terms referred to different vocal skills used in the different genres.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:08 pm

So, it isn't possible for someone to be inclined to sing in a slightly different baritone? Couldn't an untrained singer be lyrical or bel canto or whatever, naturally? No? :?
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:46 pm

Astronaut wrote:So, it isn't possible for someone to be inclined to sing in a slightly different baritone? Couldn't an untrained singer be lyrical or bel canto or whatever, naturally? No? :?

What I meant is that Bel Canto or Lyrical baritone are terms referred to a specific vocal technique not to a vocal register.
Bel Canto or Lyrical are opera genres that require different types of singers (refering to their techniques not their registers).
Your vocal register is something you're born with and depends on your vocal chords, but the type of singer you are depends on your technique and that's something you only can achieve by training (and I'm just talking about classical skills).

Those terms where created for opera singers and , in my opinion , shouldn't be used to refer to "pop" singers since their vocal skills are completely different (the projection of the voice and everything else...).
Of course, everybody can sing differently, what I'm trying to say is that the term baritone is referred to a vocal register and the terms Bel Canto or Lyrical are referred to vocal techniques that aren't only applicable to baritones, but any other vocal register .
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:14 am

Poisioned Apathy
Of course, everybody can sing differently, what I'm trying to say is that the term baritone is referred to a vocal register and the terms Bel Canto or Lyrical are referred to vocal techniques that aren't only applicable to baritones, but any other vocal register

So it's Bel Canto/Lyric/etc etc = techniques which have to be acquired through vocal training. And Register = what you're born with (basically). Right. Got it. OK.

I was obviously being a bit dense, so, thanks for clearing that up Poisioned Apathy. :D
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:18 am

Whoops! Spot deliberate mistakes! Sorry Poisoned Apathy I spelt your name wrong twice! Thats what happens when I type too fast .... :oops:
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:25 pm

LOL It's ok. Don't worry, and you're welcome. :-)
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion