The Last Romantic

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

The Last Romantic

Postby Cheery Cherry on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:29 pm

I know the book has been out for years but I am recently building my Japan/Sylvian collection so forgive me if I bring up a topic that may have already been discussed here.

I can't remember where I read it but I read somewhere that "The Last Romantic" was not all accurate and that it was poorly written. I just received the book in the mail yesterday and I am already half way through the book. I find it very interesting and there are many things that I didn't know about David. Do you know what exactly is inaccurate in the book, if any, and what is true?
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:44 pm

i read it... i actually heard the opposite about the book. I think the only way your going to get complete accuracy or at least one man perspective is if david wrote an autobiography.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:31 am

Hmmm, I have no clue where I read that it was poorly written but in my opinion, it was written pretty well and I found it very interesting. I wish it had more information on the Japan years...but still, it was worth reading.
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:37 pm

I've heard a lot of people criticise it, but as it's pretty much my only source of information about the man, I don't know how accurate or otherwise it is.

It's written in a slightly pompous, over-reverential style which is unintentionally hilarious, and Power does tend to obsess over details, but I found it a compelling read.

The one error I did spot is when Power asserts that the Shining of Things is about an argument with Ingrid - I've read an interview with David where he implied it's about his break-up with Yuka - but that's kind of academic. I take it as read that any interpretations of song lyrics are personal opinion, not fact.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:10 pm

I want a copy. Bad.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:25 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:I want a copy. Bad.

Amazon

Townsend Records
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:28 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:I want a copy. Bad.

Keep an eye on Ebay--both the US and Uk sites---one will pop up eventually.

My only complaint is the book doesn't go into any real depth on any phase of his life and career, so you kind of end up not really any more knowlegeable than when you started.

I find I learned more in one chapter of Simon Napier-Bell's book called Black Vinyl White Powder than I did in the entire Last Romantic.

Rhodesia, if you haven't read that one, then get it---it is still available on Amazon UK. The chapter deals with David when he first auditioned for Napier-Bell to get the contract for Japan, the first two albums, the touring, experiences with rude audiences, etc.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:08 pm

i found it on amazon.com new..... probably can find it on barnes and noble.com too
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:29 pm

It's in stock on Amazon.com.uk, for about $18 US. It's the revised edition which goes further in time and corrects a few factual errors that were in prior editions. I agree with Krausy's assessment of it, and think the writing is rather dull.

Amazon
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:17 am

I put off buying this one for a while because of bad reviews and comments I had heard about it. But I finally bought a copy very early this year.

IMHO, probably not the best read ever, does go into a bit of detail on the recording of projects, I thought it skimmed over the Japan era a little fast. I also found myself having to re read parts I am sure it "jumped a bit" in places.

All and all though, worth getting for your collection, (I suggest trying www.abebooks.com for a copy - you shouldn't need to pay much more than $10US for a copy). And as mentioned early, unless David ever writes an autobiography (and really how likely is that folks?), this is probably the best we will get on this genius!

Come to think of it, I wouldn't really want to see David's memoirs, it would spoil the mystery of the man and his arts.
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:41 pm

The Last Romantic:

Written from a fan's perspective, it details David's career up until Approaching Silence and the period before Everything And Nothing. Useful and interesting for any fan to fill in the blanks (i.e. the tour previous to The Road to Graceland) in a very general sense.
There are some errors and a lot of material comes from reviews and interviews already published (it was fun recognising them from my scrapbook I used to keep).
It's generally ok; it's good for light reading. The discography isn't great, though. Power uses the word 'suitable' or 'suitably' far, far too much and could have done with a thesaurus at times. It really bugged me....
That aside, it's worth buying I think as although it is sketchy, it is a record of Sylvian's career from the Japan days through to Approaching Silence, did tell me things I didn't know before. It's nice to have.
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:46 am

I just ordered Simon Napier-Bell's Black Vinyl White Powder...the colorful book cover version. I don't know what the difference is...but I can't wait to receive it :).
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:29 pm

Cheery Cherry wrote:I just ordered Simon Napier-Bell's Black Vinyl White Powder...the colorful book cover version. I don't know what the difference is...but I can't wait to receive it :).

Cool---you will like the one chapter where he talks about David and the boys. Simon discusses his whole career in that book so it can get bogged down at times, but it is interesting to me to see all the people that he has met/worked with over the years--amazing!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:57 am

I ordered 'The last Romantic' and can't wait to receive it.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:40 am

Things I've learned from the Last Romantic:

David had a beard

David and Steve are actually brothers... :oops:

'Performance' isn't about someone's sexual prowess
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion