Bad news for American Sylvian fans

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Postby krausy on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:20 pm

Congratulations Chris-----if anyone should be so lucky to get front row it is you-----enjoy, and remember, if Mr. Grinch allows you to take pictures---I command you to do it!!!! :-D

I am quite intrigued by the price you paid for tickets, by the way..................hmmmm.........quite indeed.

Also let us red -headed stepchildren in the US know what the set list was. 8)
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:54 pm

Congrats Chris! We want photos! ;)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:47 pm

Boy...I must be honest here, this (and a few others) is a tough thread for me to read. I find myself not reading these threads but I want to really share in the happiness of everyone who's attending the shows (and I don't want to miss any new information)...and I do feel very excited especially for those with front row tickets...FRONT ROW TICKETS!! I have a tendency to put myself in your shoes and feel how excited I would be if it were me. And then the reality sets in....I do hope that all who are lucky enough to see David will share photos/information with us, in detail!!! I also would LOVE you forever if any of you do get to actually meet David...ummm...it would be really, really, really nice to ask David to write a small tiny message with To: Cheery Cherry for me...you know...if you think of it. I just thought it's worth mentioning :lol: HEY, I would most definitely do it for any of you here!!!!!!
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:29 pm

krausy wrote:Congratulations Chris-----if anyone should be so lucky to get front row it is you-----enjoy, and remember, if Mr. Grinch allows you to take pictures---I command you to do it!!!! :-D

I am quite intrigued by the price you paid for tickets, by the way..................hmmmm.........quite indeed.

Also let us red -headed stepchildren in the US know what the set list was. 8)

I agree, Chris does deserve his front row seats. Good going, and have an amazing time!
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:36 pm

proggrl wrote:
arieleleven wrote:
proggrl wrote:OK great Some fans may have the means to travel anywhere to see him where ever, but most don't. There's a lot of us now holding 0 tickets and that's how many we're ever going to hold. So I hope you enjoy your 4 shows. Really - to anyone who can get there - I'm sure it will be worth it. To the rest of my US comrades licking their wounds, perhaps we can start a commissary thread! :)

I apologize if I have seemed at all obnoxious and/or as if I have been trying to rub it in everyone's faces that I am doing something that frankly terrifies me (I think I am more afraid of flying than anything) and that I wouldn't be able to afford to do if I didn't have places to stay there and other budget-cutting measures. I hate that he is not coming here; it infuriates me! And I feel terrible for those of you Stateside who won't be seeing him (and you know, it still may happen that I won't be going either). I actually feel very awkward about all of this and as if I should feel guilty about it. I humbly and sincerely apologize if any of my most recent messages especially have offended anyone in any way because that has surely never been my intent. Sometimes when I get excited, I just don't think, that's all.

Maybe it would be best if I just don't post here anymore? But I truly am sorry if anything I said came off the wrong way and if my thoughtlessness inadvertently offended anyone else here.

Ariel, it wasn't you my comments were directed at. I do apologize. I'm not upset at David either. He wasn't the one who said his not playing the US is an 'ironic snipe at those in America who think it is the whole world'. I think someone else put those words or at least that insinuation in his mouth. Personally I have not met one American who thinks that way. I really wish those who can make it have a great time. I am very happy for you all, especially if you've not seen him before. Anyone who WANTS to go should do what they can to try and make it. I'm still trying - although I have no idea what's going on and am quite close to just saving the money I really don't have to go.

Yes, I was one of those who thought why not just one or two gigs, but Moody made a great point - dag nab it. hehehe. Thanks Moody for checking into all this for us. Even though it wasn't the outcome we had hoped for, we appreciate your efforts to let us know what the scoop is. Also, it's just having you back on board. ;)

Ariel, please do continue to post. I likie your posts. :)

Thanks so much for your truly kind response here and to my PM! I have been staying away from the board here for awhile because I still don't feel entirely welcome or comfortable. I know it's the fault of me and my big mouth, but you know what? I don't get that lucky that often these days and I was a little excited at the time that I posted. I didn't stop to think how my message might be perceived by others. And there is still every chance in the world I still won't be able to go, but I am going to do my best to do so and if it is meant to be, it will be.

Thanks again, Proggrl, for your messages and I'm sorry I misunderstoof your own intent (that seems to be happening rather a lot lately, doesn't it?)

xxx
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:39 pm

Steerpike wrote: Yay!! Congratulations Ariel! I'm so glad you're coming to the UK. I will be going to the London show, so we must meet up. :D Looks like it's going to be a big board meet-up.

Thanks, Laura, I would love to meet you too!

xxx
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:46 pm

Steerpike wrote:
arieleleven wrote:I apologize if I have seemed at all obnoxious and/or as if I have been trying to rub it in everyone's faces that I am doing something that frankly terrifies me (I think I am more afraid of flying than anything) and that I wouldn't be able to afford to do if I didn't have places to stay there and other budget-cutting measures. I hate that he is not coming here; it infuriates me! And I feel terrible for those of you Stateside who won't be seeing him (and you know, it still may happen that I won't be going either). I actually feel very awkward about all of this and as if I should feel guilty about it. I humbly and sincerely apologize if any of my most recent messages especially have offended anyone in any way because that has surely never been my intent. Sometimes when I get excited, I just don't think, that's all.

Maybe it would be best if I just don't post here anymore? But I truly am sorry if anything I said came off the wrong way and if my thoughtlessness inadvertently offended anyone else here.

I think you're being very brave. If it was me, I would be just as excited and where else can you share this excitement than here, with fellow fans.

There is that "15 year old" in me that is jealous that you have front row tickets and will be travelling to see several shows. But "the grown up" me says don't be silly as I've already done that - 4 times!! and I will be meeting you as well, which is something that I'm looking forward to doing.

Don't be too jealous of those seats! Remember, they are off to the side so I will likely be starting at a curtain or wall all evening. And money is indeed an object (I am not independently wealthy either and I am not just making this trip solely to see David in concert) so I am not going to be traveling to see multiple shows after all (I don't know what in the world made me think I would ever be able to afford that -- I guess I just lost all good sense entirely for awhile there). But I just hope I will be able to go as planned...there are a lot of reasons I want to make this trip as I said and most of them have nothing to do with David Sylvian. Sorry if I sound at all defensive: I guess I still feel weird and awkward talking about all this, you know?

I really look forward to meeting you too, sweetie. Thanks for your kind words.

xxx
Last edited by arieleleven on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:51 pm

krausy wrote:As Gods has mentioned, I've been away for a week and have cooled down some(as best as one can do that in Florida--lol)but I am still not pleased. Gods says it is the Leo in me, but besides the Leo feature of temper temper temper, there is also the feature of Loyalty, and since most often my heart controls my head, I don't forsee dumping my entire Japan-Sylvian et al collection (sorry Cheery Cherry), but it may very well be in the time-out corner for a spell :-D

@ariel--Don't you dare stop posting!!! Don't let our envy rain on your parade---if you can remotely make it happen, by all means do so. Since I cannot, I will live vicariously through you. :wink:

@Proggrl---You continuously say things that I agree with. I think you understand what I am trying to say and what I feel.

@MoodyB----I really appreciate all that you do. You remind me of the PR man for Neil Finn, Peter Green. He is always helpful, informed and willing to share with the fans, being a fan himself helps. There has never been a time that I have not emailed him and he did not get back within 24 hours---now that's dedication. I also appreciate your empathy and I really do believe you when you say you understand how I feel.

However, when it was mentioned by both you and Sonic that he would lose money, I just am not sold on that. As Proggrl pointed out----PT and Marillion tour here at a loss. I am also certain that the 2 times I saw the Finn Brothers in 04/05 respectively that they did not go back to OZ with a bank roll either---in fact the US has never been kind to them, with maybe the exception of the Crowded House years----but they realize that they do have a dedicated fan base here, albeit small in comparison to their star status in OZ. I got to meet Neil in 05 and it is an experience I wished for for over 20 years, and never expected to attain. I am not saying that meeting someone is always my ultimate goal---but seeing someone live just once can often satisfy me. Hence back to the one show idea. I don't know what David's finances are based on-----US dollar, UK pound, or cockle shell, but the last time I bought anything in the UK, it was double my US dollar, and we are just talking about the UK. I'm not complaining about the exchange rate, I am just pointing out that it exists, that depending on what currency we are dealing with, we lose or gain anyway. Due to time constraint I have not researched any other currency value, so I am basing it on my experience with the UK pound.
But I think the folks that have already bought tickets can identify with my point about the exchange rate, because I have read the posts at other forums.

Conclusion? I still say a North American date or two would be nice. Am I going to get my wish? Heck no.

And please please please don't tell me I don't understand about losing money. After this years tax return, I really do understand. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet. I like to think all the money I gave the Fed went to a soldier's paycheck, or several in my case---not to the politician's pocket.

If David lost money in the process of pleasing his dedicated fans, then I appreciate his sacrifice.

To everyone going to the shows, have a wonderful time, take pictures(if allowed)and by all means share with us all when you get back!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for what you said here, Krausy! I somehow missed this post earlier (I have been AWOL for awhile now) which you will probably figure out when you read my PM. Mea culpa...and I swear to God I wish I could smuggle everyone in a giant trunk overseas with me, if all works out and I am actually able to go.

I must be naive but I still can't believe David will never play any US dates again. I really should go and spend all my money in the process because that's actually a surefire way of ensuring that he will indeed play the Americas again! :)
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bridget on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:52 am

arieleleven wrote: if all works out and I am actually able to go.

Just to let you know I really really want you to come to London.
And you know I'm not the only one. Welcome back my dear friend :P

xxx
Bridget
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby arieleleven on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:04 am

Bridget wrote:arieleleven wrote: if all works out and I am actually able to go.

Just to let you know I really really want you to come to London.
And you know I'm not the only one. Welcome back my dear friend :P

xxx

Thank you, sweetheart!

I am going to get there one way or another, trust me. :-)

xxx
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Steerpike on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:29 am

arieleleven wrote:Thanks so much for your truly kind response here and to my PM! I have been staying away from the board here for awhile because I still don't feel entirely welcome or comfortable. I know it's the fault of me and my big mouth, but you know what? I don't get that lucky that often these days and I was a little excited at the time that I posted. I didn't stop to think how my message might be perceived by others. And there is still every chance in the world I still won't be able to go, but I am going to do my best to do so and if it is meant to be, it will be.

Thanks again, Proggrl, for your messages and I'm sorry I misunderstoof your own intent (that seems to be happening rather a lot lately, doesn't it?)

xxx

I didn't realise that you hadn't been on the board because of this reason. I never got the impression that you were made to feel unwelcome. I must have missed something. :( As I've mentined in another message, I think it was fantastic that you had the opportunity to come to the UK and I'm delighted that you took advantage of it.
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:50 am

Steerpike wrote:
arieleleven wrote:Thanks so much for your truly kind response here and to my PM! I have been staying away from the board here for awhile because I still don't feel entirely welcome or comfortable. I know it's the fault of me and my big mouth, but you know what? I don't get that lucky that often these days and I was a little excited at the time that I posted. I didn't stop to think how my message might be perceived by others. And there is still every chance in the world I still won't be able to go, but I am going to do my best to do so and if it is meant to be, it will be.

xxx

I didn't realise that you hadn't been on the board because of this reason. I never got the impression that you were made to feel unwelcome. I must have missed something. :( As I've mentined in another message, I think it was fantastic that you had the opportunity to come to the UK and I'm delighted that you took advantage of it.

Well, this and being busy, which we all are I know. :-)

I think it was just a case of me being overly sensitive and feeling badly about not thinking before I posted, coupled with a misunderstanding of someone else's message. In any case, I really hope it's all cleared up now!

Thanks for what you said, sweetie! I have been threatening to come over there for years now and mostly it has been due to my fear of flying that I haven't done so. I think it's time I stop being crippled by my fears so this is almost like a personal challenge to myself, if that makes any sense?
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:08 pm

arieleleven wrote:Thanks again, Proggrl, for your messages and I'm sorry I misunderstoof your own intent (that seems to be happening rather a lot lately, doesn't it?)

xxx

You're welcome, and again, please don't feel bad. I didn't really read anything you posted that would seem offensive at ALL!!! Sonic and I even worked out our misunderstanding so everything is cool.

NOW - you have to go. Cos if *I* go, you have to go so we can meet up. :-D

*hugs* to all.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:03 pm

I have actually sent an e-mail to Sylvian's management regarding the non-US leg of the tour. Will keep you all posted if I ever get a reply. The basis of it was that through the website (davidsylvian.com) they must have a record of sales to people in the States, and their e-mails, and surely they would be able to gauge whether there was enough interest to justify a few dates, even if that was just 1 on the East Coast, 1 on the West Coast and maybe 1 in the Mid-West.
I also remember when the Jackson 5 toured years ago that they had pre-sales, so by people paying up front there would be less risk to the performer. Plus, I would imagine that most of his sales are through the website, so the advertising of dates would be much easier.
I remember when I moved to the U.S in 2001, and Sylvian toured in early 2002, I had no idea he was even here.
Surely through the website that wouldn't be the case this time round.
Will keep you all posted.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:09 pm

Burnsjed wrote:I have actually sent an e-mail to Sylvian's management regarding the non-US leg of the tour. Will keep you all posted if I ever get a reply. The basis of it was that through the website (davidsylvian.com) they must have a record of sales to people in the States, and their e-mails, and surely they would be able to gauge whether there was enough interest to justify a few dates, even if that was just 1 on the East Coast, 1 on the West Coast and maybe 1 in the Mid-West.
I also remember when the Jackson 5 toured years ago that they had pre-sales, so by people paying up front there would be less risk to the performer. Plus, I would imagine that most of his sales are through the website, so the advertising of dates would be much easier.
I remember when I moved to the U.S in 2001, and Sylvian toured in early 2002, I had no idea he was even here.
Surely through the website that wouldn't be the case this time round.
Will keep you all posted.

Many thanks for your effort, but good luck. I believe Sylvian and his management have said all they are going to say on this subject. I have given up on the possibility altogether. This whole experience has been quite enlightening and I vow never again to be quite so naive in my old age. :?

You know, advertising would be helpful if you are trying to sell tickets in any country, and from what I have been reading in forums, not much has been found in that department. Certainly the excuse could not be that it is too soon---heck, give fans enough forewarning and they can plan for it. Hmmm, maybe advertising is too expensive? Here we go again................. :roll: I accept the fact that he will never come to the US, but if he goes to the trouble to tour everywhere else, at least advertise it.

I better shut up before I say something to p everyone off and the bear goes into permanent hibernation. :-D
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion