Bad news for American Sylvian fans

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Bad news for American Sylvian fans

Postby arieleleven on Wed May 23, 2007 10:10 am

This just posted on my Japan-Pioneers digest:

Greetings to all, it's been a long time since I've posted!

I've had a few people contact me asking whether or not Dave would be
touring in the US.
After the all the issues in 2002 I didn't think so, so I contacted
Richard Chadwick to find out for sure.
This is his response regarding that subject:

"...I'm afraid it's very unlikely that David will be playing in the US
on this tour"

So, as usual I will be cashing in my frequent flier miles and heading
to Europe...Currently thinking about the Treviso show as I have a very
dear old friend there, but that may chance.
As in the past, I will probably arrange some "meet and greets" before
and after shows...I'll post details shortly.

All the best,
Chris
AKA "MoodyB" ;-)

I was so hoping and praying he would give this country one more chance. I assume this holds true for Canada as well; I don't see why he would play Toronto, etc. and not come to NYC and San Francisco at the very least as well.

I guess I will have to do everything in my power to at least get to Manchester, then. (Glasgow tickets also go on sale Friday @10AM and Dutch concerts are supposed to be scheduled in October, BTW.)
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bridget on Wed May 23, 2007 11:50 am

NO dates in the US?? Why would he call it a World tour then?
Dutch concerts? Well, I'm going to get every possible ticket for those shows.

But I can't believe he's not playing dates in the US :cry:
Bridget
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby arieleleven on Wed May 23, 2007 12:09 pm

Bridget wrote:NO dates in the US?? Why would he call it a World tour then?
Dutch concerts? Well, I'm going to get every possible ticket for those shows.

But I can't believe he's not playing dates in the US :cry:

Neither can I. I feel certain that we American fans could sell out any concert in this country and make it more than worth his while to risk playing Stateside again.

Maybe we American and Canadian fans should write Samadhisound and politely request that they not write us off here entirely as yet? I sent them another message and posted another comment to this effect (and they are probably very tired of hearing from me by now...hey, maybe they will get so fed up that that will finally give in and schedule a few US dates just so I will stop annoying them? I wish!)

Anyway, Bridget. have a wonderful time at the Dutch concerts! :-)
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed May 23, 2007 12:15 pm

:((((((((((((((((((((((

I really hope this information changes in the near future...

I can only hope... It's a very very slim chance I would be able to fly overseas.

-K
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby arieleleven on Wed May 23, 2007 12:27 pm

Silver Moon wrote::((((((((((((((((((((((

I really hope this information changes in the near future...

I can only hope... It's a very very slim chance I would be able to fly overseas.

-K

It will be very difficult for me to get to Manchester since I am still planning to move this summer, etc.....it would be much less difficult for me to road trip to NYC or Chicago. But you know, I am feeling an odd desperation to see one of these shows (I suppose because I suspect it will be his last tour ever and if I am still haunted by my ill-fated close call in Toronto '88, this near-miss would probably put me in therapy for the rest of my life, ha) so if Shaun does get me this ticket that he promised, than I will find a way to get to Manchester, absolutely.

I still think we Americans should all write polite letters to Samadhisound, and maybe even start a petition, possibly?
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bridget on Wed May 23, 2007 12:28 pm

Well, not that there is much a Dutch noob like me can do probably but I'll send them a message too.

And if dates are announced for Dutch concerts and you want to go, just let me know so I can get tickets for you if you want that.

As long as it is not announced officially on his website, I don't want to believe it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
Bridget
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby arieleleven on Wed May 23, 2007 12:46 pm

Bridget wrote:Well, not that there is much a Dutch noob like me can do probably but I'll send them a message too.

And if dates are announced for Dutch concerts and you want to go, just let me know so I can get tickets for you if you want that.

As long as it is not announced officially on his website, I don't want to believe it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

What a sweetheart you are! Thank you for offering to send a message too and especially for the Dutch concert tickets offer. Maybe someone here will be able to accept your kind generosity? (I used to have a friend in the Netherland in the 80s who sent me a good deal of the Japan photographs circa late70s-early 80s I posted in the gallery here. I always wanted to visit her because it seems such a lovely and wonderful country and because she was such a dear person, but sadly, it never came to pass.)

Thanks again, Bridget!

xxxxx
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Wed May 23, 2007 2:21 pm

Okay, I got it now.......

The World is everything, but the US is poopie ka ka...................

Well thanks alot for penalizing me for living where I do. This is sooo unfair.

Right now, don't ask me to write anything to Samadhisound because it would not be very nice. Perhaps when I cool down, if at all. :evil:

I'm sorry Silver Moon for expressing my feelings, but this is BS.

Guess I'll spend my money on Crowded House, Duran Duran, Elvis Costello, and anyone else I want to see....................the concert season won't be a total wash-up.........
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby triskadekaphobia on Wed May 23, 2007 2:33 pm

Shame US fans may not get at least a few shows int he major cities. I do suggest you all try to got to European dates as I this really does seem like the last time. It helps if you have friends and contacts in other parts of the world at times like this. maybe some dates will be added.
Was a bit confused by the post by arieleleven/moodyblue because if you are the same guy - I thought you went to a Sylvian Blemish concert in Holland a few years ago and stayed in the house of a good friend of mine ??
Anyway everyone try and get to a show. You will never regret it !!
jorg
triskadekaphobia
Regular
Regular

Postby John Trevethan on Wed May 23, 2007 2:56 pm

What if all the Americans and Canadians here started donating to SamadhiSound via PayPal? I would imagine that everyone here spends lots of money on Japan/Sylvian related CDs, books, posters, etc.

Would it be out of the question for everyone to send, say... $100 to SamadhiSound? Thats far less than what I've spent on all of Mick Karn's releases alone this year. And it's less than tickets to the Stones... :D

Perhaps by showing that we are serious about supporting David/Nine Horses we might raise someone's attention.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby arieleleven on Wed May 23, 2007 3:24 pm

krausy wrote:Okay, I got it now.......

Right now, don't ask me to write anything to Samadhisound because it would not be very nice. Perhaps when I cool down, if at all. :evil:

Guess I'll spend my money on Crowded House, Duran Duran, Elvis Costello, and anyone else I want to see....................the concert season won't be a total wash-up.........

I was beginning to feel the same way you are, Krausy, till my friend Shaun in Manchester (aka The Voice of Reason :-) ) gently reminded me of how things went on the E & N tour back in 2001/2002....David didn't get to America till spring 2002. Maybe, just maybe, he will come here next spring?? Keeping my fingers crossed, but in the meantime, I am getting my passport next week. (I have been meaning to do so for ages anyway, now I just have excellent incentive to do it right away since it takes 6-8 weeks to process, etc.)

I wish I had not been in my dormant phase as a fan in 2002, or else I would have tried to attend David's concert in DC...I might still have done but at the time I was in a bad way following the death of my once-best friend in NYC on 9/11, plus my partner at the time would have been problematic...it was just not a good time for me I suppose. Ironically, though, in retrospect, I think that seeing David then might really have helped me heal faster. But that's all water under the bridge now of course.

Anyway, here's hoping David is just making us wait a bit longer to see him in the US and is not ruling us out altogether, right?
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Wed May 23, 2007 4:24 pm

krausy wrote:Okay, I got it now.......

*Coming Out Of Online Retirement*

Please don't take it personally...
....The fact is that David lost a small fortune on the 2002 tour, just as he did on the In Praise Of Shamans tour (that whole tour lost money).

In my humble opinion, it was poor promotion that led to the lack of ticket sales in 2002. Many of those shows had to be canceled and no one can blame David from wanting to avoid that again.

I do believe that perhaps if enough support is shown another US tour could happen.
As I suggested to Becky on MySpace, maybe a petition could be started?
I don't know exactly what kind of margin David is looking for on his shows, but I would imagine that a tour of major cities could be achieved...NYC, Toronto and LA always sell well for him...
...I think I may just write back to Richard and see what is possible.

All the best,
Chris
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Wed May 23, 2007 5:14 pm

triskadekaphobia wrote:
Was a bit confused by the post by arieleleven/moodyblue because if you are the same guy - I thought you went to a Sylvian Blemish concert in Holland a few years ago and stayed in the house of a good friend of mine ??
Anyway everyone try and get to a show. You will never regret it !!
jorg

Arieleleven & I are two different people! She was just reposting my message on the Japan Pioneers group....
...And yes, I went to the show in Den Haag! So I assume that you're a friend of either Denise or Mark?
Nice to meet you!

All the best,
Chris
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed May 23, 2007 5:33 pm

John Trevethan wrote:What if all the Americans and Canadians here started donating to SamadhiSound via PayPal? I would imagine that everyone here spends lots of money on Japan/Sylvian related CDs, books, posters, etc.

Would it be out of the question for everyone to send, say... $100 to SamadhiSound? Thats far less than what I've spent on all of Mick Karn's releases alone this year. And it's less than tickets to the Stones... :D

Perhaps by showing that we are serious about supporting David/Nine Horses we might raise someone's attention.

I really like this idea! I think it would definitely be worth a try!

I haven't totally given up all hope yet!

-K
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Cheery Cherry on Wed May 23, 2007 5:43 pm

Count me in...I will sign a petition, donate money, or whatever it takes. When I read (skimmed) through this thread ealier, I was really disappointed.
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion