Opening acts

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:40 pm

That's likely it, and it would match Napier-Bell's story. David was hesitant about doing that show because the previous night (forgot which city that was) the band lost all control of the crowd. But in Glasgow, David took his manager's advice on how to face the crowd, and ending up gaining their grudging respect if not their admiration and Japan finished their set without further problems. The crowd started jeering and shouting as expected, so the band stopped playing. David walked to the front of the stage and continued to sing unaccompanied. It only made the crowd worse, and at that moment David stopped singing and just stood there with a big smile on his face. It seems the crowd got the hint that they'd been had, and completely quieted down.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:59 am

My favourite part of the book - almost...poor David, poor all of them. Mick got hit with a brick somewhere along the line didn't he.

The ballad opening to "Surburban Berlin" I understand was of particular dislike to the audience as it was done acapella...and they were not about to sit and listen to it given that they were expecting quite hard rock.

He backed out the first night but the next night after advice from Simon they carried on.

I love the image of him just quietly smiling at this barracking audience is the ultimate eff you! I would've so loved to see him do that. Even though it was done at Simon's insitgation I admire him so much more for that.

Just letting them jeer until they had expended themselves/realised it had no effect anymore and then continuing the consumate professional.

It happened...there is even bootlegs from these shows I think...
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:57 pm

For some reason I still have a mental image of David Sylvian prancing off stage head in hands, bawling... :lol:

I would love to read this book you guys are mentioning.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:59 am

Rhodesia32 wrote:For some reason I still have a mental image of David Sylvian prancing off stage head in hands, bawling... :lol:

I would love to read this book you guys are mentioning.

It's available at Amazon.uk, a little over 5 pounds so about $10 US, probably would cost about another $6 for shipping and tax. It's an interesting read and a long one (400 pages), has quite a few mentions of Japan.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:08 pm

Fear not, for I have gotten to the bottom of these shinanigans (or however the f*** you spell it)...here you go people...the source of the famed Glasgow Apollo show....don't shoot the messenger.

It was not UFO it was BOC 1978 - here is the quote from www.glasgowapollo.com. Its a fansite where people can share their memories about the venue and concerts. It was a dump but all the bands loved it (well most). quote further down states they played the Apollo again but they only played 1 concert

"Totally unforgetable just to see Japan come on in full make-up to an Apollo packed with 3000+ Heavy Metal fans and take a complete pounding - to the extent that singer Dave Sylvian took off his guitar and threw it down at one point in a childish strop !! I'm pretty sure he was crying at the time. Still, didn't seem to do them to much harm as they went on to great success in the next few years. Don't think they ever played the Apollo again though"
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:59 pm

So we're to trust a metalhead that was at a BOC show in the 1970's that he saw Sylvian tear up? Yeah, number one never trust a metalhead. Number two, well there's no need for number two.

And how does it get from "I'm pretty sure he was crying" to "prancing off stage bawling"???

THAT is the real mystery....
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby heartofdavid on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:14 pm

What's up with the attitude, VT?
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:32 pm

heartofdavid wrote:What's up with the attitude, VT?

No attitude. Sorry, if I offended anyone, I didn't mean it! I'm just used to joking with metal fans because I have a few friends who are. :-D

My apologies to anyone I offended.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby heartofdavid on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:51 pm

I wasn't offended, just curious where you were coming from. Now that you've said it's a joking thing, that's cool, I can understand it and enjoy the humor too. :wink:

And btw, I'm a metalhead, had subscriptions to Terrorizer and Metal Maniacs for several years. I still love a lot of the music but I don't keep up information-wise. :lol:
Last edited by heartofdavid on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:57 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:Its a fansite where people can share their memories about the venue and concerts. It was a dump but all the bands loved it (well most). quote further down states they played the Apollo again but they only played 1 concert

Something was niggling at my mind from the first mention of the Apollo, and last night I dug through old issues of Classic Rock and found this same reference. The March 2006 issue had a feature on the Glasgow Apollo, great article, went through history of the venue and the acts that played there, with some great anecdotes (including Japan). For example, David Lee Roth was locked out when he exited the stage from the wrong side - led straight to the alley. The bouncers refused to let him back in. He tried to explain that he was the singer with Van Halen, and the bouncers just shook their heads, "Yeah, sure mate, sure."
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to General Discussion