e-bay

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

e-bay

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:33 pm

I know this seems terrible to inquire about, but I bought a bunch of bootleg dvds of david's and japan from ebay last year and the year before. I haven't seen any sort of material like this listed for quite some time now. Has something happened on e-bay concerning the sales of these types of items??

I thought perhaps someone on this site may have some insight into this.. :-) thanks for your help.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: e-bay

Postby Melaszka on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:27 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:I know this seems terrible to inquire about, but I bought a bunch of bootleg dvds of david's and japan from ebay last year and the year before. I haven't seen any sort of material like this listed for quite some time now. Has something happened on e-bay concerning the sales of these types of items??

I thought perhaps someone on this site may have some insight into this.. :-) thanks for your help.

I think i heard a rumour that David took the guy who was selling them to court, but I may have just hallucinated that.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:35 pm

lol it was more than one guy selling from different locations. Interesting notion though.

If david wanted to make some money he'd sell some of the video items he's recorded over the years. Us fans would surely buy good quality video work with him it.... concerts etc. Oh well i'll keep dreaming
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:32 pm

Hard to say whether they have cracked down on the bootleg sales or not, but I can tell you that I have personally had a bunch of them shut down because they were using my photographs of David on the covers.

I would seriously recommend joining the YMO Rare group on Yahoo and learning how to use bitorrent as all those shows being sold on eBay can be downloaded for free.
If you're not that savvy or don't have a fast connection, there are plenty of people who will burn copies for you too...
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:50 am

MoodyB wrote:Hard to say whether they have cracked down on the bootleg sales or not, but I can tell you that I have personally had a bunch of them shut down because they were using my photographs of David on the covers.

I would seriously recommend joining the YMO Rare group on Yahoo and learning how to use bitorrent as all those shows being sold on eBay can be downloaded for free.
If you're not that savvy or don't have a fast connection, there are plenty of people who will burn copies for you too...

I do belong to the YMO group. I have never been able to access the downloads even when i was given the access. Also I have a mac . Torrents and macs don't get along too well.

I'll have to put up a request to see who can make me some copies.... thanks for the tip MoodyB.

OH and I'm glad you cracked down on them for using your images.... I am SO opposed to images being used without artist's consent. I know it sort of is a fine line though between my feelings on that and my feelings on getting bootlegs. If David would just make more releases available that he is included in that wouldn't be such an issue for me.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:14 am

I guess Mr Sylvian would be saying to you all, if you are against artists material being used against their permission, you shouldn't be interested in bootlegs!
Now I can't talk believe me, I own tons of the stuff, just wanted to add a bit of controversey, and btw, though I ahve been sligthly lazy, I am still in the process of uploading all my bootlegs.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:10 pm

Burnsjed wrote:I guess Mr Sylvian would be saying to you all, if you are against artists material being used against their permission, you shouldn't be interested in bootlegs!
Now I can't talk believe me, I own tons of the stuff, just wanted to add a bit of controversey, and btw, though I ahve been sligthly lazy, I am still in the process of uploading all my bootlegs.

well that is why i prefaced saying what i did above. I feel torn. Yes I know bootlegs are bad, but if the artist doesn't release anything then we have little choice. But then again I understand why the artist gets upset over it.... very double edged sword type situation.

I'm quite thankful for all my david bootlegs... i know i should feel guilt, but I am way too happy to feel guilt. LOL
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:52 pm

I couldn't agree more.
I totally understand how he feels, yet still feel the need to go against his wishes.
Of course, due to the fact that he won't be setting foot on these shores any time soon, at least not to perform, I like many others will need to go to the unofficial source to obtain my 'live' fix.
Also, given he is a perfectionist, and there is nothing wrong with that, I really can't see a live album forth coming.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:17 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:If david wanted to make some money he'd sell some of the video items he's recorded over the years. Us fans would surely buy good quality video work with him it.... concerts etc. Oh well i'll keep dreaming

That would make entirely to much sense. Giving the fans what they want? Gee, what a novel idea.

I realize that as fans we can't possibly understand ALL of the logistics, but I think that it's ridiculous that so much footage is just floating around, instead of being distributed to the fans who want it.

Then, the artists have the audacity to complain when the harcore fans go out of their way to find it ie. via bootleggers...etc, etc. Make up your minds people.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:30 pm

I guess there is the problem with copyright issues regarding pre-Blemish.
I think the main problem with Sylvian is his issues with perfertionism.
Even with Oil On Canvas they went back in to the studio to 'clean' it up.
Don't think Sylvian believes that live broadcasts are the best medium for his music, and prefers the control he has in the studio.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:16 am

What else does he have to prove to anybody? He didn't do a US tour, and if the rumors are true, that means we aren't getting any sort of 'farewell'.

There are probably quite a few pro shots from the early era, as well as the later stuff.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:42 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:Yes I know bootlegs are bad, but if the artist doesn't release anything then we have little choice. But then again I understand why the artist gets upset over it.... very double edged sword type situation.

I'm quite thankful for all my david bootlegs... i know i should feel guilt, but I am way too happy to feel guilt. LOL

I'm with you on this. It's very frustrating for fans because there is no other way to obtain live recordings and other material. The demand for it exists but the artist/label won't meet it. It would mean money for them but for whatever reason they ignore the fans in this respect, and so the profit goes to somebody else. I often think that their moaning and b*tching at bootleggers should be directed at their own lack of enterprise.

Saw this news item last night - Prince is on the rampage:

"Prince obviously wouldn't die 4 YouTube.

In fact, the "Purple Rain" purveyor is planning to take on the video-sharing giant in an effort to "reclaim his art on the Internet," according to a statement released on Prince's behalf.

Meaning, Prince is feeling litigious.

The Web-savvy artist, who was one of the first major recording stars to utilize the Internet to release new tunes and interact with fans, is planning to sue Google Inc.-owned YouTube, as well as alleged piracy-encouraging sites eBay and Pirate Bay, for copyright violation."
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion