David's best band Tour band

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

David's best band Tour band

Postby Stoobie on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:40 pm

What is your favourite tour band David has used ? Japan not allowed

I was sitting listening to the 88 Tour and love the David Torn & Mark Isham influence. I would love these guys to have been performing with David this time around !

Only 20 hours to wait till i see this years band !
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: David's best band Tour band

Postby MoodyB on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:06 pm

Stoobie wrote:What is your favourite tour band David has used ? Japan not allowed

I was sitting listening to the 88 Tour and love the David Torn & Mark Isham influence. I would love these guys to have been performing with David this time around !

Only 20 hours to wait till i see this years band !

I have loved all the tours, they've each had their own flavour, style and merits...
...But I have to say my personal favourite is the '88 band (even if David doesn't agree on that!).

They created really huge textures, and I have to say that Isham was a real star performer...His contribution to Brilliant Trees was spine tingling...
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:14 pm

i went to 2 shows back then Newcastle & front row Edinburgh the next night ! quite magical ! but then all Tours have been special ! Davids shows always are !
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:40 am

I am with MoodyB, it has to be his first tour.
Including, Jansen, Bill Nelson, David Torn, Barbieri, Jon Hassell (??) was a great line up.
Out of interest MoodyB, what does Sylvian think was his best?
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:06 am

So good you can't remember it? :lol:

As far as I can remember, the line up was Sylvian, Jansen, Barbieri, David Torn, Ian Maidman, Robbie Aceto & Mark Isham.
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:15 am

Burnsjed wrote:I am with MoodyB, it has to be his first tour.
Including, Jansen, Bill Nelson, David Torn, Barbieri, Jon Hassell (??) was a great line up.
Out of interest MoodyB, what does Sylvian think was his best?

I'm not sure which he considers to be best, but I do remember that after the '88 tour he said that it wasn't the best lineup of musicians...
...That I have to say really floored me as they were all superb.
The tour was beset by a lot of problems though, from major technical issues, Dave got sick twice and Steve cut his hand...There was also the huge financial loss too, so I can see why he probably felt a bit sour afterwards.

I saw the show at Hammersmith on the extra night they added (May 30th I think) and they performed flawlessly, I had chills through the whole performance!
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:39 am

I was a victim of Steve's cut hand, travelling down to Brighton to find out the concert had been cancelled.
Though I did catch it twice at Hammersmith and once at La Pigale.
Thought the music on that tour was beautiful, and remember being blown away by David Torn, especially in Paris when I was in the front row, and directly infront of him.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:59 pm

1993 - David Sylvian, Robert Fripp, Trey Gunn, Michael Brook and Pat Mastelotto. An amazing band... A raging force against nature.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby fletchertronics on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:12 am

baht habit wrote:1993 - David Sylvian, Robert Fripp, Trey Gunn, Michael Brook and Pat Mastelotto. An amazing band... A raging force against nature.

Absolutely. I'm with you there.
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to General Discussion