Sylvian Fan Club?

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:18 pm

melaska's
I kind of understand his thinking here, but it does seem to discriminate unfairly against fans who live in certain parts of the world, who through mere financial or geographical accident will never have access to the same amount of his material as those who find it relatively easy to see him live (particularly given his habit of showcasing new material when touring which never makes it into recorded format). For this reason, I wish he would release limited amount fo live footage (perhaps only tracks which he never plans to do in a studio version and/or perhaps, as in the "fan club" suggestion, just to hardcore fans). But i don't see it happenign any time between now and Jersey freezing over.

gee i think this is a great idea. Now this is something i wish he would consider as a good thing to put out. that would be great :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:16 pm

I remember that e-card. I could be wrong but I thought it had more to do with being a sort of prayer for Peace in opposition to the terrible War that is still being waged, rather than a card under the guise of any holiday. Something of that sort cannot be construed as being cheesy in the least.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:58 am

baht habit wrote:I remember that e-card. I could be wrong but I thought it had more to do with being a sort of prayer for Peace in opposition to the terrible War that is still being waged, rather than a card under the guise of any holiday. Something of that sort cannot be construed as being cheesy in the least.

Well, yes, I take your point that it did carry those implications and didn't make any overt references to Christmas in it (and he's a Hindu, anyway) - but it was issued around 20th December and had snowflakes on the front, so I do think some link with Christmas cards was intended, if only in an ironic, subversive sort of way! And Christmas cards traditionally carry prayers for Peace On Earth.

I didn't find it cheesy, but nor do I find japanfan's suggestions cheesy, and I think cheese is very much in the eye of the beholder. :lol:

I may be wrong, but I felt in your earlier posts you were reacting more to the words "fan club" than to the actual substance of japanfan's proposals. I grew up in the Smash Hits era, as well, so the words had negative connotations for me, too. But I don't think s/he had in mind us all wearing "Sylvian fan club" badges or subscribing to fanzines where we can read factfiles about David's pets and favourite sandwich fillings and get lots of glossy posters of David to put on our bedroom walls. I just think s/he wanted the same kind of thing that davidsylvian.com/samadhi sound already does, but more regularly and in more detail, and would be prepared to pay a fee for the privilege.

By joining forums like these and/or subscribing to samadhisound's mailing list etc we're all in a sense joining a fan club - we're demonstrating that we want to know more about Sylvian's work/express our love for him by more than just buying an album once every few years. I don't think we'll ever agree about at what point that desire becomes cheesy or even intrusive in terms of David's privacy, but I don't think that desire is intrinsically naff or wrong.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:19 am

did i miss the memo where david himself said he is hindu?
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:55 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:did i miss the memo where david himself said he is hindu?

No, I don't think so. Sorry, when I said he was Hindu, I meant he's not Christian and more interested in eastern spirituality.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:59 pm

Melaszka wrote:
godisinthesilences wrote:did i miss the memo where david himself said he is hindu?

No, I don't think so. Sorry, when I said he was Hindu, I meant he's not Christian and more interested in eastern spirituality.

it's all good just thought i missed something :-) :D :D :D :D
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:40 pm

I have been actually wondering why Samadhi Sound isn't offering any free downloads as it had in it's initial two years or so....
There was the live version of Orpheus from '88 and the instrumentals Trauma Therapy and Mothlight, as well as the remix of the tweaker remix of Late Night Shopping, and even that interesting cover of Leonard Bernstein's Somewhere done in a 'blemish' laptop glitch style. The site hasn't offered anything of that sort since changing the layout for the Nine Horses promotion, has it?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:59 pm

hhmm not that i recall. Bummer free stuff would be good....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:37 am

Melaszka wrote:
baht habit wrote:I remember that e-card. I could be wrong but I thought it had more to do with being a sort of prayer for Peace in opposition to the terrible War that is still being waged, rather than a card under the guise of any holiday. Something of that sort cannot be construed as being cheesy in the least.

Well, yes, I take your point that it did carry those implications and didn't make any overt references to Christmas in it (and he's a Hindu, anyway) - but it was issued around 20th December and had snowflakes on the front, so I do think some link with Christmas cards was intended, if only in an ironic, subversive sort of way! And Christmas cards traditionally carry prayers for Peace On Earth.

I didn't find it cheesy, but nor do I find japanfan's suggestions cheesy, and I think cheese is very much in the eye of the beholder. :lol:

I may be wrong, but I felt in your earlier posts you were reacting more to the words "fan club" than to the actual substance of japanfan's proposals. I grew up in the Smash Hits era, as well, so the words had negative connotations for me, too. But I don't think s/he had in mind us all wearing "Sylvian fan club" badges or subscribing to fanzines where we can read factfiles about David's pets and favourite sandwich fillings and get lots of glossy posters of David to put on our bedroom walls. I just think s/he wanted the same kind of thing that davidsylvian.com/samadhi sound already does, but more regularly and in more detail, and would be prepared to pay a fee for the privilege.

By joining forums like these and/or subscribing to samadhisound's mailing list etc we're all in a sense joining a fan club - we're demonstrating that we want to know more about Sylvian's work/express our love for him by more than just buying an album once every few years. I don't think we'll ever agree about at what point that desire becomes cheesy or even intrusive in terms of David's privacy, but I don't think that desire is intrinsically naff or wrong.

This is exactly what I meant.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to General Discussion