Sylvian "fans" on the Internet

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Sylvian "fans" on the Internet

Postby Melaszka on Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:24 pm

Aaagh! This may just be me, and I'd like to stress that it is not a comment about anyone on this site, where everybody is always respectful and reasonable, but has anyone else noticed that when DS does anything new, a whole pile of alleged "fans" appear on review sites on the Internet, slating him and threatening never to buy his records/go to his concerts ever again?

It's not just that they don't like what he's just done (which is perfectly fair expression of opinion), but they seem to
(a) take the fact that he's recorded an album/performed a concert that they didn't happen to like as a deliberate personal affront to them
(b)assume that he's knowingly produced something that he, too, must think is artistically bad, in a cynical attempt to cheat them out of their money
(c) assume that their opinion is the only valid one and that anyone who disagrees with them is just a critically deficient fangirl/boy who's blindly made up their mind that David can do no wrong

I've just been despairing at some of the comments posted under the Times review and on other review sites. There have been a lot of reasoned, fair comments by people who hated the RFH gig and give a clear critical rationale for what they acknowledge is just their opinion, but then there's been a lot of arrogant "How dare he shortchange us like this? It was rubbish and anyone who thinks different must be stupid or lying" kind of posts.

I remember the same situation only on a much worse scale when Blemish came out. I can't think of any other artist who routinely gets ripped to shreds by his/her own fans like this. Why is this?
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:42 pm

Honestly, this kind of behavior happens to every artist at any given time. Reason? You can't please everyone!!! There is always going to be some person not happy, not enjoying the concert, not agreeing with the decisions of the artist, not liking the direction the artist is taking, etc etc etc. WE get upset about other people's comments because we are passionate about our enthusiasm for an artist (if that isn't too redundant). We may even think those fans are not real fans, only fans when it is tour time or new release time or whenever it is convenient for them---believe me, I have seen this many times with other bands/artists and at other websites. Like a backside, everyone has one and some like to share their backside with everyone instead of being objective and sit back and see what happens. hey, even I have been guilty of that.

I could let that kind of stuff really eat at me, and believe me, it really chafes my backside to see the indifference here and at other sites for other bands that I am passionate about, but that is just the way it is sometimes.

I understand how you feel. A tour usually brings about new visitors and members, and actually that is great, but sometimes it is a double edged sword. Everyone here old and new has displayed the utmost maturity even if we disagree sometimes. Agreeing to disagreeing and moving on, that is the beauty of this website. To my knowledge I don't believe one person yet has been asked to leave for whatever reason(SilverMoon can confirm this). We all kinda know instinctively how far to push the envelope without totally peeving everyone off.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Sylvian "fans" on the Internet

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:01 pm

Melaszka wrote:I can't think of any other artist who routinely gets ripped to shreds by his/her own fans like this.

Duran does, big time. It seem with them the nastier the comments, the more people join in the discussion, which becomes nothing more than a bash-fest.

I think it's fair and fine for someone to state they don't like something, give their reason and move on. It's the non-stop aspect that I find annoying, and even though I try to avoid those threads, many of the commenters shotgun blast their rants onto threads that have nothing to do with what they're saying.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:17 am

Duran does, big time. It seem with them the nastier the comments, the more people join in the discussion, which becomes nothing more than a bash-fest.

Ain't that the truth!! It seems that fans can also be a musician's greatest enemy!

I came to the conclusion a while back, that if I listened to every "fan" on the net regarding who I consider a great musician, I would never listen to any of them. In the end of the day, it is about whether YOU like the music, not what everyone else thinks. It is this that has kept me listening to David for as long as I have, it also was the reason I bought both Duran's Medazzaland and Pop Trash on their first day of release - not many "fans" of that band can say that!

If I can give any tip it is this: Life is too short to read bad reviews!
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby deadbees on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:01 am

A large number of DS fans want him to still be a pop star and can't accept he's an artist. Duran Duran are still pop stars, still play the game.
deadbees
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Burnsjed on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:23 am

That said, I remember posting a Blemish review on the Lenin website, and was (IMHO) very constructive, praising half the album, while saying that maybe the others in time would grow on me (though I didn't believe that at the time turned out to be almost prophetic) and mentioned that 'She Is Not' was not worth commenting upon as it only lasted 40 odd seconds, and got a ton of abuse from one lady about what a beautiful poem it was.
Which considering I hadn't given the album or the track a negative review was a bit strong!
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:15 am

I suppose that the problem is that loads of people who say they like David Sylvian (or any other artist) have probably only heard one or two of his songs, and think that that's enough to be enlightened on his whole career. Then there are those who pretend they have the right to spit on what he does because they bought one of his records in nineteeneightysomething and he's not doing that stuff in that way anymore.
It's sad, but people are like that.
And just to show you all how right and clever I am :smt042, some time ago, on an italian forum, I bumped into a "review" on a Mick Karn concert, and the author :smt072 was so ass-faced to say that "after an hour of rubbish he and others in the crowd were shouting 'We want David Sylvian '." :smt119

It's true that when one spends money to see/listen-to an artist he's got every right to say he didn't like it if he didn't like it, but if the criticism is based on: "he didn't crack any jokes", "he was so depressing", "it wasn't what I expected to hear", then it'd be better to shut up!
In how many reviews of David Sylvian concerts have we read that?
The same stuff has been said for The Cure. A bloke stated that he was fed up with them because "Robert Smith is always miserable and never jokes, and he could guess the set-list before they played, so, from then on, he'd go see Bruce Springsteen because he knows what the crowd wants and gives it them." :smt078
I really wish all these people would divert their attention to Springsteen (no offence to him), or any available stand-up comedian (no offence to them).
Better still: if they want to hear their favourite David Sylvian songs in a certain order, they'd better get themselves an iPod and learn to use Playlists.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:46 am

inkinthewell wrote:I suppose that the problem is that loads of people who say they like David Sylvian (or any other artist) have probably only heard one or two of his songs, and think that that's enough to be enlightened on his whole career. Then there are those who pretend they have the right to spit on what he does because they bought one of his records in nineteeneightysomething and he's not doing that stuff in that way anymore.
It's sad, but people are like that.
And just to show you all how right and clever I am :smt042, some time ago, on an italian forum, I bumped into a "review" on a Mick Karn concert, and the author :smt072 was so booty-faced to say that "after an hour of rubbish he and others in the crowd were shouting 'We want David Sylvian '." :smt119

It's true that when one spends money to see/listen-to an artist he's got every right to say he didn't like it if he didn't like it, but if the criticism is based on: "he didn't crack any jokes", "he was so depressing", "it wasn't what I expected to hear", then it'd be better to shut up!
In how many reviews of David Sylvian concerts have we read that?
The same stuff has been said for The Cure. A bloke stated that he was fed up with them because "Robert Smith is always miserable and never jokes, and he could guess the set-list before they played, so, from then on, he'd go see Bruce Springsteen because he knows what the crowd wants and gives it them." :smt078
I really wish all these people would divert their attention to Springsteen (no offence to him), or any available stand-up comedian (no offence to them).
Better still: if they want to hear their favourite David Sylvian songs in a certain order, they'd better get themselves an iPod and learn to use Playlists.

Amen!!!

Just like you say, more often than not the comments are from the folks you just described. I always felt that I had no right to speak about an artist's style or work unless I actually really listened to it well and when I do comment, it is not something like it is rubbish or whatever. About the only time I have said anything in the past about David's work is that he should embrace everything he has done beit solo or with a group as part of his development as an artist, not to discard it.

I also told my coworker the other day that I don't own a single cd or anything of the bands Boston or The Eagles, not because I think their stuff is rubbish. I have respect for them as artists, it is just that radio stations in our area play them to absolute death and if I want to hear them, I can simply turn on the radio at any given moment and I WILL hear them.

And what that person said at the Mick Karn show was rude and uncalled for. But the world is full of all kinds and I guess we have to bite the bullet sometimes and deal with it---doesn't mean we agree with them. like dear old Mum alwasys said, "Better to stay quiet and smart then to open the mouth and remove all doubt." :-D
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:21 pm

heartofdavid wrote:
Melaszka wrote:I can't think of any other artist who routinely gets ripped to shreds by his/her own fans like this.

I think it's fair and fine for someone to state they don't like something, give their reason and move on. It's the non-stop aspect that I find annoying, and even though I try to avoid those threads, many of the commenters shotgun blast their rants onto threads that have nothing to do with what they're saying.

I couldn't agree more with the duran fans. I never really posted on their sites because the people got so mean for no reason. Or claiming one person was a bigger fan than another. WHO CARES!?!

I used to spend quite a lot of time chatting on Andy Taylor's official site and they were a great bunch of people. Just like on here :-). People were respectful and considerate. And no one attempted ever to belittle anyone.

Why do you suppose the duran fans get so nasty??? is it just the whole more girls together becoming catty fighting over boys??? That is all I can lay it down to. Which is sooooooo silly in my opinion.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:49 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:
heartofdavid wrote:

I couldn't agree more with the duran fans. I never really posted on their sites because the people got so mean for no reason. Or claiming one person was a bigger fan than another. WHO CARES!?!

I used to spend quite a lot of time chatting on Andy Taylor's official site and they were a great bunch of people. Just like on here :-). People were respectful and considerate. And no one attempted ever to belittle anyone.

Why do you suppose the duran fans get so nasty??? is it just the whole more girls together becoming catty fighting over boys??? That is all I can lay it down to. Which is sooooooo silly in my opinion.

Gods, I am still trying to figure that out. There are some really great folk on Duran sites, and then there are some real wackos.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:46 am

I can never understand why the D2 fans are so nasty on some of the messageboards. I left all the D2 messageboards that I used to belong to, I couldn't handle the crap that was going on. Heck, most of us will never meet the musicians we listen to, yet on some sites many believe they have a "personal relationship" with them! On one site, they even turned on each other, I copped some rather revolting comments from a JT devotee, I b*^%y near needed therapy to get over that!

I must admit that after 26 years of being a Duranie, I have grown tired of the goings on. Not just from other fans, but also what is posted on the official sites - check out one of Simon's rants in the Ask Katy section...

In saying that I do like most of the music, both D2 and DS. As one mentioned earlier, you can't base your appreciation of a musician on only a couple of songs, but you also do not have to like everything they have produced. There will be some tracks that you will never understand, and also others that mightn't be understood at their time of release but would be later on, - Rain Tree Crow and Blemish came to mind when I typed that.

And the goings on at the Mick Karn concert, heck it did bring a smile to my face, but at the same time, what a thing to do!! Clealy they bought tickets to the wrong show!!

With all musicians I try to remember that they are human, have feelings and emotions, and like most of us would probably like a place to crawl into and hide when things get bad, - and for them what makes it worse is that most of the world is aware it is happening (just take Britney for example).

Enjoy the music, enjoy the shows, and enjoy looking at the shoes - if you are that way inclined... :-D
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:16 pm

ellyn sylvian wrote:I can never understand why the D2 fans are so nasty on some of the messageboards. I left all the D2 messageboards that I used to belong to, I couldn't handle the crap that was going on. Heck, most of us will never meet the musicians we listen to, yet on some sites many believe they have a "personal relationship" with them! On one site, they even turned on each other, I copped some rather revolting comments from a JT devotee, I b*^%y near needed therapy to get over that!

I must admit that after 26 years of being a Duranie, I have grown tired of the goings on. Not just from other fans, but also what is posted on the official sites - check out one of Simon's rants in the Ask Katy section...

In saying that I do like most of the music, both D2 and DS. As one mentioned earlier, you can't base your appreciation of a musician on only a couple of songs, but you also do not have to like everything they have produced. There will be some tracks that you will never understand, and also others that mightn't be understood at their time of release but would be later on, - Rain Tree Crow and Blemish came to mind when I typed that.

And the goings on at the Mick Karn concert, heck it did bring a smile to my face, but at the same time, what a thing to do!! Clealy they bought tickets to the wrong show!!

With all musicians I try to remember that they are human, have feelings and emotions, and like most of us would probably like a place to crawl into and hide when things get bad, - and for them what makes it worse is that most of the world is aware it is happening (just take Britney for example).

Enjoy the music, enjoy the shows, and enjoy looking at the shoes - if you are that way inclined... :-D

You have got the right idea Ellyn.. don't let anyone tell you different.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion