David's language

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

David's language

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:50 am

Is it just me or are David's lyrics slightly "stronger" than they used to be?
I mean, how many times do you recall him saying "f@#k" from Brilliant Trees to Blemish? Whilst, since the Snow Borne Sorrow album his language has become harsher, to say the least.
(Have a listen at 'Angels', collaboration with Punkt, and at 'Sleepwalkers' on the World Is Everything tour book.)
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:39 pm

i agree, but how often do we remember his lyrics sounding so frustrated in the past as well. It is interesting to see this other side of the artist... he said his more recent work has been more of a reflection of what is going on in the world. Perhaps he is just getting his frustration over it all out.... Interesting very interesting :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:32 pm

Sometimes a guy has just got to lessen his standards and let loose with the vulgarities in order to express frustration in it's strongest sense.
Let's face it, there are a lot of 'sleepwalkers' out there who have no clue as to what is going on outside of their insulated little worlds, or even worse, those who are aware and yet just don't give a d@mn. And I think Sylvian just attempted to add some extra emphasis by using the one adjective that seems to get the most use in the United States to make his particular point even stronger. There should be no mistake made in who the derision is focused on. Much of American is so blatant in their ignorance when it comes to events going on in this world. All that a very large majority seem to care about (beside silly sh#t like celebrity gossip or missing white girls with blonde hair) is what happens to them directly and in turn are so blind in their provincial way of existence that they remain woefully ill-informed. Even the way the meager 20 minutes of Nightly World News is presented in the US is tilted towards how a certain event either effects us or reflects upon us.
As for the track with Punkt, "Angels", I am not so sure any more that Sylvian actually says 'f**k you'. Someone else had stated that they believe he says 'vacuum' and I now tend to lean closer to agreeing with that assessment.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: David's language

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:19 pm

inkinthewell wrote:Is it just me or are David's lyrics slightly "stronger" than they used to be?
I mean, how many times do you recall him saying "f@#k" from Brilliant Trees to Blemish? Whilst, since the Snow Borne Sorrow album his language has become harsher, to say the least.
(Have a listen at 'Angels', collaboration with Punkt, and at 'Sleepwalkers' on the World Is Everything tour book.)

Why would the lack of curse words make his lyrics stronger? Or were you just using it as an example?

I don't see the big deal about any word. If it fits, and projects the right feel or emotion, why not.

I think David should use obscenities more often.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:37 am

IMHO the use of obscenities in a song, or indeed everyday language is not something to be commended.

One thing I do like about David's lyrics is the fact that " yo mother f&*^$%er" is not in any of them.
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:01 am

If we only listened to 'commendable' music that wouldn't be very fun, now would it? :-D
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:27 am

Someone not known for using strong language can, when using it sparingly, use it to great effect. I feel it makes you sit up and take notice. 'What? Did I hear that right?'
In addition, people who use strong language all the time just don't come over seriously to me.
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:37 am

What Adrian's just described is what I've been doing many times since the release of World Citizen (I'm not counting Blemish only because the argument is so personal). Up to then, I had always taken David's songs as a whole, a complete structure, where the lyrics, the vocals, were just an other instrument: whatever the words were, it didn't matter, I didn't even pay too much attention, it was just beautiful to listen to.
Whereas, in his latest songs, there is something that makes me want to know what he is saying. I'm aware that my previous post seems focused on the swear words - my fault! - while what I wanted to focus on was the 'harshness' (I'm not sure that's the most proper word for it), the strength, the way he spits out those words.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:19 am

I get the sense that there is a growing frustration too. And a bitterness. From the cool detachment of Tin Drum to 'fuck yous' , at least it's so much more 'human' than it used to be, if you know what I mean. I find listening to Sylvian's material now, much more cathartic and ....I don't know; focused, honed in...goes right to the heart of the matter. I prefer that to a song about a person taking pictures.....is it just me?! ha ha.

Having said that,..background music it ain't.

What's Naoshima like anyone? Worth getting?
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:25 pm

baht habit wrote:Sometimes a guy has just got to lessen his standards and let loose with the vulgarities in order to express frustration in it's strongest sense.
Let's face it, there are a lot of 'sleepwalkers' out there who have no clue as to what is going on outside of their insulated little worlds, or even worse, those who are aware and yet just don't give a d@mn. And I think Sylvian just attempted to add some extra emphasis by using the one adjective that seems to get the most use in the United States to make his particular point even stronger. There should be no mistake made in who the derision is focused on. Much of American is so blatant in their ignorance when it comes to events going on in this world. All that a very large majority seem to care about (beside silly sh#t like celebrity gossip or missing white girls with blonde hair) is what happens to them directly and in turn are so blind in their provincial way of existence that they remain woefully ill-informed. Even the way the meager 20 minutes of Nightly World News is presented in the US is tilted towards how a certain event either effects us or reflects upon us.
As for the track with Punkt, "Angels", I am not so sure any more that Sylvian actually says 'f**k you'. Someone else had stated that they believe he says 'vacuum' and I now tend to lean closer to agreeing with that assessment.

The official lyrics put out for the punkt song says f**k you.... but they could be wrong.

Are you american? Live in america?
I agree with some of your assessment and disagree with some of it. Commenting on another country you don't live in is like saying you dislike, lets say, lobster without ever having tried it. It is not up to me to make waving judgments upon a country i don't live in, however I may have an opinion. Of course, it would most likely be an opinion based in ignorance. As I said I agree with some of what you said and not with other things. That is the wonderful thing about cultures all being different, but honestly we are all the same and want the same things in our hearts, minds and spirits. :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:42 pm

I found the comment about the 'missing white girls with blond hair' rather stupid to be honest.
It insinuates that that missing children (and by this we are talking about children that are abducted) are not news worthy.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt, that your post is just very poorly written, and what you are trying to convey is that certain aspects of the media pay more attention to some children that are abducted then others.
And there you stand, Making my life possible
Raise my hands up to heaven, But only you could know
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:26 pm

I do live in America. Philadelphia Pennsylvania, to be exact.

Poorly written??? I think not :) Perhaps hastily written lacking in detail...but never poorly written. I just mistakenly assumed that most people are aware of a certain plague of these particular news stories that are exploited by cable news:
I wasn't referring to missing children. Unfortunately, not enough children make their radar. Milk cartons, newspapers and fliers are all those poor unfortunate souls seem to merit.
I was referring to the unusual amount of attention that the cable news channels in America give to missing girls, usually of the age 18-25, almost always blonde, usually attractive enough that their picture could draw in viewers, usually well to do monetarily wise or at the very least upper middle class, (the debutant type, if you get my drift)...usually these girls end up missing from making stupid decisions revolving around alcohol, acting wild on vacations or getting involved with beer guzzling guys with the one-track minds of cretins.
Never have we seen an African-American woman, a Hispanic lady, an Asian woman, a poor Caucasian female, etc., who unfortunately happens to turn up missing get any coverage of the sort night in and night out. It is as if none of these other cases matter, yet I read quite often of the tragedies of people in newspapers.

So believe me, this is purely exploitation on the part of these news channels who only care about one thing: Ratings ... It surely isn't that they have the best interest in mind for the missing person, since they wind up spilling every ounce of evidence and usually end up tainting a case that should remain purely local and should remain investigated by authorities, not newshounds looking to exploit a situation for their own means.
And these news channels appear to be trying their darnedest to appeal to what they perceive is their only possible audience : White people... because these channels are owned by rich and powerful corporations who feel the only Americans that could possibly be actually interested in news are white people. Scumbags like Rupert Murdoch will slant the news to fit their agenda (which just so happens to coincide with this particular administration), while extolling family values and then have some of the sleeziest sh*t on the airwaves on his entertainment channel, and both serve the unfortunate goal of blatantly dumbing down our society.
Oops I am ranting...raving....I won't go on any longer.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming....
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm

I have to agree with you with regard to Rupert Murdoch. Only recently did I find out he was the major shareholder in MySpace. Considering taking my page down altogether. That'll teach him....lol.

In the UK, we have the monopolies commission, which guards against widespread media ownership by one investor or group. I'm surprised America doesn't have the same sort of thing.
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:57 pm

baht habit wrote:Poorly written??? I think not :) Perhaps hastily written lacking in detail...but never poorly written.

Don't went to dent your ego but you can call your original post what ever you want, fact it was poorly written, while your second post went a lot further in explaining your views.
Sadly you have outlined the problem with TV period, and this obviously isn't just unique to the U.S, but I guess as with most things is highlighted more in the U.S.
Ratings, ratings, ratings, what else matters to a TV company?
I find the news in the States on the whole is terrible, but to be fair their are a few highlights.
One of the very first things that hit me when I arrived here, was the billing that your newscasters seemed to enjoy, as if they were more important then the content.
Then when I started to read/hear of their inflated salaries, this only confirmed my original impressions.
I can't say I have really noticed that many stories about young women going missing, certainly not on the scale that you suggest, not sure if that is a local news thing, or if I am just fortunate to miss that!
It also sound like you have an issue with FOX News, I suggest you follow me in just ignoring it, its just propaganda rubbish that regurgitates the Republican manifesto.
Another problem is 24 hour news channels, sure it's nice when there is breaking news, but lets face it, how often does that happen.
All you end up with is a handful of stories being repeated every few minutes and then saturation of whatever is deemed hot, be it a murder, a scandal or hopefully both with an angle involving Britney!
That said I don't think the U.S own the copyrights to these problems.
And finally, as far as Murdoch is concerned, don't think you would find many people who would piss on him if he was on fire.
And there you stand, Making my life possible
Raise my hands up to heaven, But only you could know
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:17 am

Naoshima is a great work in my opinion, but it's nothing like anything else he's done - think sound artists like bernhard guenter, francisco lopez or john wall
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion