Where can Sylvian go from here?

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Postby untitled on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:17 am

Bhat -I agree about Brandlmayr’s work on Sleepwalkers. Sylvian’s vocals are (I think) deliberately quite flat and Brandlmayr’s technique (however you might describe it) offsets that nicely.

Initially I didn’t like the song, as I assumed it was another song about Ingrid. But on repeated listening, I think he’s having a go at his own recent lyrics - his attempts to put into words his feelings about the break-up, world affairs etc. I could be wrong (and most likely I am). But that’s why his lyrics always appeal to me, you just never know :D

Blemish is my favourite album. But the prospect of a similar styled release, this time with a more collaborative role for the other musicians, is a tempting prospect indeed.
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:26 pm

untitled wrote:Bhat -I agree about Brandlmayr’s work on Sleepwalkers. Sylvian’s vocals are (I think) deliberately quite flat and Brandlmayr’s technique (however you might describe it) offsets that nicely.

Initially I didn’t like the song, as I assumed it was another song about Ingrid. But on repeated listening, I think he’s having a go at his own recent lyrics - his attempts to put into words his feelings about the break-up, world affairs etc. I could be wrong (and most likely I am). But that’s why his lyrics always appeal to me, you just never know :D

Blemish is my favourite album. But the prospect of a similar styled release, this time with a more collaborative role for the other musicians, is a tempting prospect indeed.

I agree with you about the lyrics. I don't think it is a go at Ingrid after further reading of them. It seems a rant about himself ... more of a go at himself.

I really do look forward to his new work. I enjoy experiencing whatever he puts out.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:46 pm

It's interesting how we can ascribe different meanings to Sylvian's lyrics. He seems to intentionally leave holes or veer off tangent in order to remain vague.
In the case of Sleepwalkers, I read the lyrics as a vehement putdown to we Americans for the relative ignorance we have lapsed into during the past decade or so...our overall common interests are generally void of class and culture, so the mediocre and mundane rise to a heightened celebrity status....the majority of America has such a lack of knowledge in accordance to world affairs, and a great portion prefer this ignorance which only serves to bring suffering at the hands of those who hold power, be it corporations or government.
And this derision which he exhorts in the song could even reach out to those certain fans who bother to concern themselves with every personal aspect of the man's life.
That is just my meager take on the tune. He wishes for the world to wake up.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: interview Christian Fennesz new CD Sylvian

Postby huwgriffiths on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:12 pm

Keith Rowe ((must be 'Lowe' of course)).

It might be Keith Rowe - a British jazz guitarist..

.. sorry should have read all the posts first!
huwgriffiths
Noob
Noob

Postby The Analog Kid on Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:29 am

baht habit wrote:>>>>Sylvian wants to get rid of his straight-forward image of singer-songwriter for good. He was not so happy with his last tour. His new work is much better. He is working with radical, experimental jazz musicians like Evan Parker, Burkhard Stangl and Keith Rowe ((must be 'Lowe' of course)). <<<<

Actually, Keith Rowe is an avant-garde jazz guitarist who has been active since the early sixties. Recently he has worked with a few names that you may recognize--- Christian Fennesz and Otomo Yoshihide, as well as Martin Brandlmayr, Sachiko Matsubara, and Toshimaru Nakamura (these three had contributed to Sylvian's track Sleepwalkers).
Guitarist Burkhard Stangl is a former member of Polwechsel, a group from Vienna who Fennesz had collaborated with and later introduced to Sylvian. Brandlmayr is a member of the group as well. The group's bassist, Werner Daffeldecker, has also contributed to Sylvian's forthcoming solo project.
Evan Parker is a saxophonist who once performed in various combos with Derek Bailey as well as legendary jazz pianist Cecil Taylor.

From the personnel that we know of so far, I suspect that this next solo album will be an extreme challenge.

I am really excited by this prospect - I was kinda fearing he would do another SBS - which to me is a dead end street in terms of development and would not yield such interesting results as this possibly can. This doesn't mean I will like, let alone love it, but at least it will be exciting - maybe like an optimistic Blemsish of sorts!

cheers
Eric
Noone takes polaroids anymore
The Analog Kid
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:16 pm

baht habit wrote:It's interesting how we can ascribe different meanings to Sylvian's lyrics. He seems to intentionally leave holes or veer off tangent in order to remain vague.
In the case of Sleepwalkers, I read the lyrics as a vehement putdown to we Americans for the relative ignorance we have lapsed into during the past decade or so...our overall common interests are generally void of class and culture, so the mediocre and mundane rise to a heightened celebrity status....the majority of America has such a lack of knowledge in accordance to world affairs, and a great portion prefer this ignorance which only serves to bring suffering at the hands of those who hold power, be it corporations or government.
And this derision which he exhorts in the song could even reach out to those certain fans who bother to concern themselves with every personal aspect of the man's life.
That is just my meager take on the tune. He wishes for the world to wake up.

here here... i couldn't agree more. :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:11 pm

Hmmm. so he wants us to be worldly and wise, but ignorant of him.

Gotcha.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:56 am

I definitely think Sylvian is referring to us, the "fans" in the words "you fucking sleepwalkers" and I also agree with the posts about the start of the song being about Sylvian himself.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:49 am

>>>>Hmmm. so he wants us to be worldly and wise, but ignorant of him.
Gotcha.<<<<

Ah, a healthy dosage of sly sarcasm. If my remarks have offended you, which they obviously have, I must apologize. They were just my honest assessment regarding the possible meanings in the song which was being discussed. Please feel free to return to the topics on white shoes, clothes, hairstyles, pillowcases, etc.
Anyone else ever wonder why Sylvian's official site has no interest in putting up a fan forum?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:02 am

baht habit wrote:>>>>Hmmm. so he wants us to be worldly and wise, but ignorant of him.
Gotcha.<<<<

Please feel free to return to the topics on white shoes, clothes, hairstyles, pillowcases, etc.
Anyone else ever wonder why Sylvian's official site has no interest in putting up a fan forum?

Why do you always feel the need to put other forum members down?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:22 pm

>>>Why do you always feel the need to put other forum members down?

Good question. Since you seemed to have only directed your question at my response then I assume you have no problem with the sarcasm I initially received above toward my observation regarding the lyrics of Sleepwalkers.
In my response I was only attempting to make a point. There is some real obsessing that goes on around this lovely site and, though I have concerned myself in no way in Mr Sylvian's personal matters, I can gather from his reclusive reputation and usual demeanor that if he were ever to peruse these parts, he just may shudder at the attention paid to certain aspects of his life. And I feel that is what may be what is expressed in certain lines of Sleepwalkers. Attention to more serious subjects perhaps may be a little more constructive.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:34 pm

baht habit wrote:>>>Why do you always feel the need to put other forum members down?

Good question. Since you seemed to have only directed your question at my response then I assume you have no problem with the sarcasm I initially received above toward my observation regarding the lyrics of Sleepwalkers.
In my response I was only attempting to make a point. There is some real obsessing that goes on around this lovely site and, though I have concerned myself in no way in Mr Sylvian's personal matters, I can gather from his reclusive reputation and usual demeanor that if he were ever to peruse these parts, he just may shudder at the attention paid to certain aspects of his life. And I feel that is what may be what is expressed in certain lines of Sleepwalkers. Attention to more serious subjects perhaps may be a little more constructive.

I haven't even heard "Sleepwalkers" so can't comment on what may or may not have been alluded to in the lyrics. I've always thought, though, that DS is being a bit unrealistic in expecting fans to take no interest whatsoever in his personal life when most of his lyrics are so autobiographical and confessional. He shares his most intimate secrets with us and then implies we're stalker fangirls/fanboys if we express any interest in who he is as a person! Can anyone honestly say (even you, bahthabit) that they didn't start to wonder about David and Ingrid's marriage when they first heard Blemish? I just don't think it's possible to be moved by the music and not think about David the person at all.

Having said that, there are limits and some fans do cross them big time. (e.g.another fansite apparently published his 13-year-old daughter's MySpace username last year, which I thought was just totally sick and very frightening).

But you don't have to be totally poe-faced to be seriously interested in the music - it is possible to joke about the white shoes and engage deeply with the music as well. I think people possibly get upset and defensive when they feel that other posters are questioning their taste, depth and ultimately intelligence because they sometimes show a lighter side, too. We're a broad church here and I like that.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:07 am

On "Sleepwalkers" ~ personally i dont rate it ! Its not the swearing, it just doesnt live up to some of his other work.

Happy Holidays all

Stoobie :-D

PS ~ I love this forum !
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:21 am

Melaszka wrote:
baht habit wrote:>>>Why do you always feel the need to put other forum members down?

I haven't even heard "Sleepwalkers" so can't comment on what may or may not have been alluded to in the lyrics. I've always thought, though, that DS is being a bit unrealistic in expecting fans to take no interest whatsoever in his personal life when most of his lyrics are so autobiographical and confessional. He shares his most intimate secrets with us and then implies we're stalker fangirls/fanboys if we express any interest in who he is as a person! Can anyone honestly say (even you, bahthabit) that they didn't start to wonder about David and Ingrid's marriage when they first heard Blemish? I just don't think it's possible to be moved by the music and not think about David the person at all.quote]

You are so right! David can expect that...
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:58 pm

>>>>Can anyone honestly say (even you, bahthabit) that they didn't start to wonder about David and Ingrid's marriage when they first heard Blemish?<<<<

I never have given a flying fig about his marriage so I honestly never gave it a thought when I first listened to blemish. In truth, I was much too stunned from the minimalistic musical content and overall lack of melody to pay any attention at all to the lyrical content. I know that I have documented my first impression of blemish to the point of ad nauseum, but here I go again---the first thing I thought was something along the lines of 'oh my my, Sylvian's gone mad with a nasty case of cabin fever from the New England winter... ala Jack Nicholson in The Shining'. The only thought I had pertaining to Chavez is that she may have well ended up in the terrifying predicament that Shelly Duval's character had to endure in the movie.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion