Duran vs. Japan

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Duran vs. Japan

Postby InVogue on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:11 am

Duran Duran have sometimes been accused of copying Japan, both in the way they looked and the sound of their music. Personally I think it's difficult to understand such an opinion. Obviously there are some similarities on Duran Duran' s first two albums, with the slightly Quiet Life-sounding Planet Earth for example, but I don't understand that some keep comparing them to Japan to this day. What do you think about this?
InVogue
Noob
Noob

Re: Duran vs. Japan

Postby BobbyVey on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:52 am

Interesting but very common subject throughout the forums I'm afraid.
Only few songs have some similarities, mostly because those 'romantic' synth atmospheres generated by both Barbieri and Rhodes but that would be it. Their visual style are much more similar (during '81/'82) and I think people are more into comparing them visually than musically.
Actually, the best thing about Japan was that they split pretty fast, clearing the way for some extraordinary and wonderful solo pieces by Sylvian, Jensen, Karn and Barbieri. If they had stayed together, the most of these would never have happened.
DD have been more or less together for more than 30 years now,and for that time they gave almost nothing valuable comparing with Japan and its members.
Now just imagine Japan reunited, releasing their new crappy album, something like 'The Red Carpet Massacre' is! :? :lol:
Don't get me wrong, when I was a teen at early '80s I was a huge DD fan, only listened to Japan briefly, but now, after 25 years and more, I still listen to Japan stuff very often...
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Postby Astronaut on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:59 pm

BobbyVey wrote:Only few songs have some similarities, mostly because those 'romantic' synth atmospheres generated by both Barbieri and Rhodes but that would be it. Their visual style are much more similar (during '81/'82) and I think people are more into comparing them visually than musically.

In my opinion Barbieri's compositions/style was much more sophisticated than anything produced by Rhodes around 1981/82. At that time I think Rhodes was more N Y Disco/pop influenced. But when it comes down to making pure pop music, no one can beat DD. Their live shows are just fantastic! Lets party ...!!!! :smt035

Basically they were 2 very different groups with very different agendas and comparison is slightly pointless. Altho I agree with BobbyVey: visually they were very similar, until '82 when DD got a stylist!!!
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby FlyingPig on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:34 am

Hi,
I was a Duran Duran fan for a year or 2, I found 7 and the Ragged Tigers texture intriguing at the time as well as Arcadia, but S. Lebon's voice... it's a disaster, it was ok in the 80's let's say. When I listen now, I find the voice annoying and destructive, it prevents any artistry from coming out.
That surely kept Rhodes project from becoming more timeless.
I read somewhere at the time that Rhodes wanted Bowie to sing on Arcadia. I don't know, it could have been an artistic meeting we would still be talking about today.
P.
Last edited by FlyingPig on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:50 am

I like both bands and I wouldn't be a fan of Japan and probably never heard of them if I hadn't been a DD fan before.

Same about Porcupine Tree, if I hadn't been a Japan fan! ;)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season